· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Pro's/Con's of these dimensions

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, new member to AC here. What an informative community!

Prior to 2004 I had quite a few tanks and setups for about 13 years and my fish seemed to do quite well. Here I am after a 9 year hiatus and I am fully dedicated to getting back into caring for fish. I have read hundreds of posts and gathered so much useful information based on the members comments, blogs and articles here.

My wife and I decided to add a tank to our home and our Aunt has given us a glass tank (with custom stand) with the following dimensions: 47”L x 21”W x 12”H
    I have NEVER had a tank that was only 12” high, so I was hoping someone here would be able to list out the pro’s/con’s of having a tank of these dimensions. If I calculated this correctly, I believe the tank is about 50 Gallons. I know one of the immediate con’s is that, with the stand, the tank is only 43 ½” tall. So one would practically have to bend to look at the fish or be seated to do so.

Thank you all in advance for your insight.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow that is a really odd size, but if those are truly the measurements that a great size! High is not that important for an aquarium unless your keeping angel fish, footprint is much more so. So a good length and depth like you have means you have a ton of options. That 21" depth means that as long as you have enough filtration you could keep fish that normally wouldn't fit in tank that size. Things like an Oscar, Jack, etc. What kind of fish are you thinking about keeping?
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    What I'd do is avoid the big cichlids. Something with these dimensions offers a ton of possibilities. A temperate hillstream, a densely planted gourami habitat with all sorts of plants sticking out of the top and suspended lighting. A dedicated hypancistrus habitat..

Do you have hard or soft water?

0 Not allowed!
    I think it'd be great for plants, a small stream style set up, no major current but a small power head on one end and rocky bottom

0 Not allowed!
    And that's another nice option!

0 Not allowed!
    Not so great for large or tall fish, but for medium sized or small fish, it is an awesome tank. Fish don't really spend a lot of time swimming up and down so a tank like that gives them lots of space to roam.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

I think that would make a pretty nice planted tank as already suggested by others

Have you ever set-up a saltwater aquarium before ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for such quick replies. Beng my very first tank this oddly shaped (AND in a long time), I had NO clue what to do with it, lol.

@FinalJenemba - I've had 2 oscars before in a 100 Gal tank and loved them. I haven't even really thought of anything yet becuase I couldn't wrap my head around that size, hahaha. I would definately be willing to consider an Oscar tank again.
    @talldutchie - At the moment, I'm not sure what type of water we are running in our town. I am pretty much at the earliest of planning stages (you know, like where in the world do I put this thing, then, hm, how do I decorate it)... Some of the ideas you had I have never considered and will look into those as well. THANKS
    @Hardy85 - Hm, I never thought of that. I don't think I have any idea of how to accomplish that. Any good references I could compare???
    @madagascariensis - Another great suggestion. It could look very nice with low plants and structures and loads of small fish running the length of the tank.
    @Cliff - Thank you. Sadly, even though I had previously invested tons of time and money intomy previous aquariums, I never delved into live plants. Likewise, I have never had a SW tank. Would these dimensions be good for a SWA?

Thanks again everyone!

0 Not allowed!
    A 50 to 55 gallon tank that is ~4 feet long and not to high could make a nice little reef tank or a planted tank, if you like the looks of them.
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After reading a lot of the articles here in AC about live plants, my interest has been peaked. Although not a complete novice, I have always shy'd away from live plants because of the extra time and care they took, time I did not have.... Coming in here, though, has given me some great ideas. Ideas that when they come to come to frution, I would love to blog, step by step....