· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Oranda breeding with Ranchu? Please help.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys, hope all is well and with your pets too,
    I have a question which is worrying me a bit. I woke up today as usual to feed my two fish (1x Oranda 1x Ranchu) and the Oranda seemed to have a very erratic course of behaviour. It is now chasing the Ranchu (which is getting very tired) bumping into it trying to stay side by side with it and a bit of tail nipping too. I have had these fish now for almost a year with no social problems what so ever. The water parameters are excellent, (Ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph.7.2 roughly). Is this the Oranda trying to breed with the Ranchu? Is it even possible? I tried to find out if it is the season for breeding but I could not find any info. I have no clue about breeding etc, so if anyone could shed some light I would be most grateful.

I have just looked on youtube at oranda breeding etc but my one seems to have different actions, it seems to charge at its side, chase it from behind, maybe a nip to the tail now and again then stay by it's side then repeated.

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by bobo1234; 04-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    First I may ask how big is the tank. I'm not an expert on goldfish, but I'm pretty positive both the species you own grow to around 6 inches. Along with being quite large, goldfish produce a lot of waste and if you're not providing adequate tank space or filtration you could see stunted growth in your fish as well as aggressive behavior.

0 Not allowed!
    It certainly is possible for an oranda to breed with a ranchu. they both are types of goldfish that have been selectively bred to their current looks. its like a german shepherd breeding with a collie. Does the chaser have little raised white spots/pimples on its head and pectoral fins? Males in breeding condition exhibit so-called breeding tubercles which they use to stimulate females by rubbing their snouts on the female's vent and belly area. If you are observing that type of behavior then it might be spawning. At the very least its the right time of year(northern hemisphere) for them to be doing so. Unless you already have done so, adding bunches of fine-leaved aquarium plants or a spawning mop may lead to results.

0 Not allowed!
    Could it be aggression instead of mating? I guess that would be unlikely considering how long they've been in the same tank, but I also question how large the tank is and how big the fish are.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, thank you for all the reply's. The tank there in now a is 60 gallons/ Eheim 2213 external filter/ no gravel/ and only plants are Elodea strands at the moment. madagascariensis I have checked the Oranda and it seems to have no raised spots on either the head or pectoral fins. I will observe them for a day or two to see if it just wasn't a coiencidence. The fish in size are a bit larger than an inch, the oranda is much fatter/denser however. Thank you all again

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about keeping goldfish on bare bottom tanks. When I kept goldfish they spent a fair amount of time sifting through the substrate and investigating ornaments/plants. To me, it sounds like an aggression problem. Boredom probably doesn't help. Perhaps consider enriching the environment for them and see if that changes the behaviour.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Firefly thanks for the response, yes I have decor, plant pots good lighting colourfull background. I do not have any proof that having a tank with no gravel is better, but for me it has always seemed to work (I get a beneficial algae which grows at the bottom) and although aesthetically it does not look as nice as a tank with gravel it is much cleaner and easier to clean. That is interesting about the boredom bit you mention though, I never really thought about it but since it has been proven that they do have a long term memory this may very well be the case. I'll try and move a few things around and see if that might help (although i do change ornaments, plant locations etc every week.