· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Still getting ammonia after nitrites dropped to 0

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everybody. I started a fishless cycle on 4/1 with a 37 gallon planted tank. I used tap water with conditioner and the ph started off at about 7.2. I dosed ammonia up to 4 and it started dropping on 4/9/13. On the same day nitrites showed up at .25. Within a day or so nitrites spiked and nitrates appeared, but I know that the high nitrites can make the api kit give a false reading. I have continued to check once a day and dosed ammonia back up to 2-3 each time. It never fell to 0, but would get to .25. My nitrites were off the chart every single day until 4/23, when they finally dropped to 0! My nitrates tested at about 80. I was so happy until I checked the ammonia and it was still at .25. I dosed the tank back to 2-3 ammonia and checked again today. PH is 7, Nitrites are 0, nitrates 80 and ammonia .25. I have only done a a fishless cycle once before about five years ago, and I don't remember having ammonia never drop to 0. Just wondering if this is normal and if I should just continue as I have been, or if I should do a large water change and see if that has any effect on getting the ammonia to drop to 0 after dosing it up to 2 or 3. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can give some advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Try this next time. Don't dose up to 2-3. Try 1ppm and see what that does. I think for you size tank 4pp could have been just a tad to much of ammonia. You will def have a lot of BB in your filter when you completed. Again, try 1ppm and wait about an hour or so. If it's gone then you are cycled.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I just dosed up to 1 and will be checking in an hour. Fingers crossed - I really want to go fish shopping this weekend!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You really need to wait until the ammonia drops to 0 before re-dosing. If you don't you will make the cycle take longer than it needs to. Even if the ammonia stays a .25 for a few days, wait until it drops completely to 0 before adding more.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks honey badger. I did dose up to 1 from .25 tonight and it didn't drop, so now I'll just wait until it hits 0 before doing it again. I just hope I haven't screwed up the cycle since the nitrites finally dropped to 0.

0 Not allowed!
    And do not add ammonia more than once a day. It could also be that your filter is too small to handle all that ammonia dosing. But you haven't mentioned the filter so that's just speculation on my part but the better the filtering, the more room you have to grow bacteria that will eat up that ammonia.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with above 2 posts - once your ammonia gets down to 0, you add back up to 1.0, wait 24 hrs (making sure it's 0), add to 1.0 again, etc.. Once you see that ammonia is being "eaten" consistently down to 0, you do a large water change to get those nitrates down and you're done!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you lady hobbs and imma24. I do only add ammonia once a day, but I wasn't waiting for it to hit 0, which it never did in 24 hours. I couldn't help myself and checked the level just now and it is at 0, so tonight after the 24 hours I will dose back to 1 again and repeat this for a few days to make sure I can replicate it before I declare it cycled. - lady hobbs -my filter is an eclipse with a bio wheel that is about 7 inches long, but I don't know the exact model as the tank is five or six years old and I had it in storage.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Your filter should have the name or size printed on it somewhere.
    The problem with filters that are too small for the tanks they are on isn't that they can't grow the proper amount of bacteria, they will always grow enough bacteria to deal with the bio-load in the tank regardless of the tank to filter ratio, bacteria are really tiny and a huge amount can grow in a small space. The real problem is a filter that is too small for the tank it is on will not pull all of the water through the filter and leave dead spots of unfiltered water. This unfiltered water will accumulate ammonia and since it is not being pulled through the filter, the ammonia is not being processed.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.