· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Where am I in this cycle ?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all !

I am somewhat new here. I used to be a member, got frustrated, left and now am back with a 20 gallon long FW tank. I had a betta who died and I kept for sometime. I tank was just a gallon and unfiltered. I am guessing it just eventually cycled itself I "seeded" my new tank with ceramic media from the betta tank and my parameters are nitrites 0, nitrates 20 and ammonia 0.25 I just dumped a small amount of ammonia in this morning to see what the AquaClear filter would accomplish. The sponge in that filter has a rusty orange color to it. I dont know if that is good bacteria, algae or crud or what it is. It is also on the tip of my filter suction tube. I have a few live plants and carbon in the filter now. Any help is appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    What was your ammonia reading after you put in the ammonia? A cycled tank should process that ammonia fairly soon so even if your ammonia reading starts at 2.0, it will go down to 0. If you continue seeing a reading for ammonia, your tank isn't cycled yet.

I can't tell you about the color - I don't think you can see the bacteria in the media - you only know bacteria are there when added ammonia goes down to 0 fairly quickly.

There is also no need to keep carbon in the filter unless you've removing medication.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. The ammonia went up to 1.0 ppm, the nitrites are 0 and nitrates steady at 20 ppm.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    So, if I am reading this correctly, you put 1ppm ammonia in less than 24 hours ago and it reads .25ppm now and 0 nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. Based on that, I would say the cycle is well on the way thanks to the seeded media, but not quite done. Test again in the morning, if the ammonia reads 0ppm then re-dose with 1ppm and check again later in the evening to check the ammonia and nitrites levels. If in the morning there is still some ammonia do not add more, wait until it reads 0ppm. Once we get the test results from a full 24 hours it will be easier to tell you how far along the cycle is.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do not know exactly how much ammonia I put in, perhaps a third of a capful of a quart ammonia container. After testing last night after work about ten hours later the ammonia was at 1.0 ppm, nitritites at 0 and nitrates at 20. This morning, 24 hours later and after not re-dosing with ammo. the ammo. is still at 1.0 ppm and everything else is exactly the same.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you read the cycling threads? How long has it been since the Betta passed away? If it's been a while since you had fish, then the bacteria on that "seeded" material would not be effective. Bacteria dies in a few days. But you wrote you did not have a filter when you had the Betta so not sure where "seeded" material would have even come from.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by uihawk9868 View Post
    Hi all !

I am somewhat new here. I used to be a member, got frustrated, left and now am back with a 20 gallon long FW tank. I had a betta who died and I kept for sometime. I tank was just a gallon and unfiltered. I am guessing it just eventually cycled itself I "seeded" my new tank with ceramic media from the betta tank and my parameters are nitrites 0, nitrates 20 and ammonia 0.25 I just dumped a small amount of ammonia in this morning to see what the AquaClear filter would accomplish. The sponge in that filter has a rusty orange color to it. I dont know if that is good bacteria, algae or crud or what it is. It is also on the tip of my filter suction tube. I have a few live plants and carbon in the filter now. Any help is appreciated.
    I see Lady Hobbs caught something - you had media (meaning the ceramic things) sitting at the bottom of the tank but not in a filter?

I re-read your original post and am confused - you mentioned the betta tank was unfiltered so how does the Aquaclear come into play here? Was it being used on another tank?

From what you posted just now, your tank is not cycled yet if your ammonia remains at 0 and you have no reading for nitrites (that's the next phase - getting a nitrites reading). Sounds like you are at the beginning of cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    If it's been a while since you had fish, then the bacteria on that "seeded" material would not be effective. Bacteria dies in a few days.
    This is debatable, bacteria if kept wet and oxygenated will last for longer than we want to think, even without an ammonia source. With no source of food the bacteria will start to die off in a few days and the numbers will definitely be depleted, but complete die off will take much long that a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post

I re-read your original post and am confused - you mentioned the betta tank was unfiltered so how does the Aquaclear come into play here?
    This is not debatable, where did the media come from if the betta tank wasn't filtered.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My thinking on this was as follows: the betta died about 1-2 weeks ago, from ammonia poisoning, I am sure. Therefore, I thought since there must be ammonia in the betta aquarium, and nitrifying bacteria need ammonia, I left the mesh bag of ceramic media in the betta tank and then just simply transferred it to the new filter. It was never out of any water for more than 2-3 seconds.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Unless the media was in the tank with well oxygenated water flowing over it, like what happens in a filter, for several weeks, it is not seeded. You can't just throw media in tank water for a few hours or a few days and expect it to be seeded. Do you have a test kit to test the water or are you guessing?