· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt do that, because of redundancy... if either of the filters die, then the other filter will keep a good BB going...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You've now added more good filtration & progress is being shown, so that's great.
    But now, if you want to 'kick things up a notch', and get crystal clear water - all the time - here's a couple of suggestions that will work wonders:
    - First - add a bag of Seachem Purigen to your filter, and re-charge it about every 3 weeks when it browns up.
    - Also use double-layered filter floss in combination with it, removed & tossed out, and replaced with new every second week.
    - Last but not least, use fine mesh pre-filters on your filter intake tubes, rinsed out very well every 2nd or 3rd day (just takes a minute).
    The above additions can all go into your new AC 70, while the bio-filtration (mainly) is taken care of in your canister.
    Try it - guaranteed it will work superbly.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    i wouldnt do that, because of redundancy... if either of the filters die, then the other filter will keep a good BB going...
    Meh..

BB is very portable from one filter to the other.

Surely you would notice within a day or two if one of the filters died {I certainly would but IF you wouldn't then yes the above quote applies] and you would certainly have viable BB left to transfer.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Yes, i kept the Fluval 305 doing its thing and just added the AC 70.

I left the AC 70 as it came in the box, just cut a fine filter pad to size and added it above the sponge for extra mechanical filtration. Water has definitely cleared up of any floating food bits so i'm a happy camper! :) :) :)

In addition, would using smaller pellets result in less mess when they eat? I currently feed them 3mm new life spectrum pellets and they seem to make a mess, spitting some of it through their gills as they eat them. There are no smaller pellets being sold in my local store here, was thinking of ordering a small pack online and trying it out. Do you think it would make a difference?

Anyways, tremendous thanks for the suggestions on this once again! Although louder than the canister filter which is nicely hidden in the cabinet, the AC 70 definitely does an amazing job in pulling a lot of water through.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You've now added more good filtration & progress is being shown, so that's great.
    But now, if you want to 'kick things up a notch', and get crystal clear water - all the time - here's a couple of suggestions that will work wonders:
    - First - add a bag of Seachem Purigen to your filter, and re-charge it about every 3 weeks when it browns up.
    - Also use double-layered filter floss in combination with it, removed & tossed out, and replaced with new every second week.
    - Last but not least, use fine mesh pre-filters on your filter intake tubes, rinsed out very well every 2nd or 3rd day (just takes a minute).
    The above additions can all go into your new AC 70, while the bio-filtration (mainly) is taken care of in your canister.
    Try it - guaranteed it will work superbly.
    I will do this, but can you tell me more about what the "filter floss" is? I've googled it but no definitive answer. Some say it's polyester fill you put in pillows???

I bought a fine filter pad at my local pet store and you can cut it to size. It's about 1/2" thick uncompressed and I put that in both my fluval 305 and AC 70.

I'm not sure how much of this floss is necessary and at which point your are starting to bog down the filter's ability to pull water though ... if that is even a concern.

Got a pic of what this "filter floss" actually looks like so i know what to go look for?

0 Not allowed!
    I've used filter floss in my canister filters for years. Two layers of it and bio-max on top in my canisters. Keeps the water crystal clear. I just replace the floss every month. I buy bed pillows at Walmarts when on sale for $3.00 and you get a whole big pile of floss rather than the dinky little bags at the fish store.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    filter floss is used to scrub the water of small small particles out of the water, like LH said, its just a polyester fluff.

i for one have not used purigen, it seems like if you have a good cycle going and a good weekly water change its not going to do anything cept waste money. but im just going off research. many people here can go an entire life without using it. maybe super sensitive fish would need it, not sure...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder_struck View Post
    Got a pic of what this "filter floss" actually looks like so i know what to go look for?
    As mentioned it's simply polyester fill [IE: Quilting batting] but it can come in sheets or rolls as well. I use chunks of this cut to size [whatever filter]:

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Fi...quatic+systems

Sometimes I use the quilting batting but this is so cheap that usually just add 5$ worth of it to an order when I am shopping on Amazon. I use it until it is literally almost falling apart and then replace it. If you do go the pillow stuffing route be sure to NOT get anything that is labeled 'flame retardant' because those contain chemicals that your fish would not appreciate.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Good point to make. Good idea with the quilt batting, as well. Probably available at a fabric store, too.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, just thought i'd give you an update and show you just how clear the water has gotten with the extra AC 70 filter helping the Fluval 305 out .... The phone jack on the wall is 9 feet away from the camera and that is looking through 4 feet of water!! It looks great, there's nothing floating around and even when I feed them everything is gone very quickly. This AC 70 is definitely a keeper. I can only imagine what an AC 110 does!!!!

here's a pic