· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default lots of floating food particles in tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys! I searched all over but was not able to find a solution. My tank is a 65 gallon, 4 foot long cichlid tank. There are 4 mbuna, one catfish and one pleco in there. The problem that i'm having is lots and lots of floating particles in the water. They are all the same color as the food so it must be from that and it looks really gross in an otherwise neat looking tank.

I feed the fish pellets and they seem to spit a lot of it out through their gills as they break the pellets down. It doesn't help that they try and beat others to them so they fit more in their mouth than they can eat and then end up spitting it all over the place. i'm definitely not overfeeding them. Even if i skip a day then only feed each one a single pellet they end up making a mess by spitting a bunch of the particles through their gills. The catfish is good for picking up a lot of the scraps that fall down. However there are A LOT of particles floating around and since it gtes substantially worse after a feeding, i would imagine it is just food particles.

The tank is fully cycled and the ammonia levels are very low! I have a Fluval 305 filter and I have tried adding very fine pads into one of the trays and no change. I put a second pad in another tray and still no change. The pad itself is very dirty and obviously catching a lot of stuff, but the tank water does not look any clearer.

If you watch the intake tube it is constantly pulling in particles. My friend has a 60 gallon tank with a Fluval 404 and the water is immaculate!! When i opened up her filter it had nothing special going for it inside. Looked same as mine.

I have also tried skipping a day of feeding and that helps things a little, but then i feed them and i'm back to square 1.

The food that i've been trying is 1) Top Fin small ichlid pellets 2) New Life spectrum 3mm sinking pellets. Both seem to be eaten with excitement, spat through the gills and create a mess.

Do you any advice for me?

- Should i try different food? if so what? Flakes?
    - Do you think in a 4 ft tank the intake is too far from the output and water isn't being "pushed" to the intake well enough?
    - Should i be adding more than two fine filter pads in the filter?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to provide as much info as i can. Here is a pic of the tank:

Last edited by thunder_struck; 04-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    your tank looks great. but i do have some concerns. first you said the ammonia levels are very low. ANY ammonia reading is a sign of a cycling tank. what are your nitrates and nitrites?

the fluval 305 is rated for 70g. ideally you want to take your tank's volume and double it. then find a filter that is rated for AT LEAST that amount. as you can see, your friend's tank is 60g (a little less than yours) and the filter is rated for 100g (higher rated than yours) thats why your friends tank is much clearer.

i would recomend either upping the canister filter you have, doubling it with another on, or adding an aquaclear 70 HOB filter. any of those combos will help you out.

also something i think i would point out for you from your picture... your heater would preform better if you put it in the outlet stream of the canister filter. this will cause it to be able to heat the tank better. i try to always have my heaters under my hobs or in/near the outlet stream of canister filters
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder_struck View Post
    Do you any advice for me?
    Yep.

IMO it comes down to this: You are underfiltered. A 305 is rated for a 70g tank which means its good for roughly a 35g tank.
    Under-stocking aside [& potentially another issue with Mbuna] get an AC 110 on that tank for some monster mech filtration and call it a day.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much guys! I was under he impression that the filter being rated for 70 gal was a realistic figure! Should have done more research before buying I guess :((

I will look to either upgrade to a bigger canister or add a HOB to it. I will also reposition my heater to the inlet side of the tank! Thanks guys!

As for the ammonia, yes it should be zero but the tank is dl just finishing the cycle process so it is still reading about 0.1-0.2 ... Just barely measurable on the chart. I was just throwing that out there to show that this floating food is not decomposing and raising ammonia as would be the case with over feeding I would imagine!

One more question ... If I add a HOB filter would it be better to put it on the side where he intake for the canister one is or on the side where the 305s outlet is? Or would it not matter?

Thanks!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder_struck View Post
    One more question ... If I add a HOB filter would it be better to put it on the side where he intake for the canister one is or on the side where the 305s outlet is? Or would it not matter?
    I don't think it will make much of a difference. IMO I would put it smack in the middle of the tank.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 5 Blackskirt Tetras, 8 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    those canisters have a low flow rate and won't pull the bulk of the floating particles out of the water column. I would add an aquaclear70 as stated above. much better turnover rate and will do a much better job for mechanical filtration.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    In agreement with adding a second filter. With only one filter in a large tank, only the food on the one side of the tank is getting sucked up, as well, so it's taking quite a while to clear the whole tank. I keep my heater as yours is so I don't see a problem there but the hoses on canister filters should be as straight up and down as possible, not spread all the way across the tank as yours is positioned. And keep in mind, fish eat very little. Make sure you aren't overfeeding them. Your catfish would probably like some catfish pellets just for them.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, just want to thank everyone for the advice. I went out and bought a aquaclear 70 in addition to the fluval 305 ... and the water is looking spectacular! I didn't use the tube extender, so the aquaclear helps pick up the particles higher up in the water column and the 305 intake is down lower doing its thing. I dont' like the look of HOB filters, but on a 4ft tank it's not really that big of a deal.

the only big deal was moving the entire tank 3/4" away from the wall that it would fit :( :( .... this required draining all of the water, just to move it 3/4"!! Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I bought the biggest canister filter I could. As you can see i wanted it to fit inside the cabinet for a clean look. Even so it didn't fit and I had to cut a hole in the shelf and drop the canister through, then make a cover to hide it ... which is that box in the middle below the doors in the center.

I'm hoping to eventually replace all of the decorations with just Texas holey rock, if I can find it locally here ... Not very popular in Canada, nor easy to locate. Might consider some fake Texas holey "rock" if i can find it online. I really like the look of tanks with those in them, just can't find any around here.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    so question, did you buy a new HOB and a new canister and added both to the tank and took out the old canister filter? if thats the case i hope you transfered the bio meida at least to one of those filters. other wise you will be recycling your tank and things can get UGLY fast....

i do like the layout you have its nice
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a suggestion for the HOB since you have a canister as well. I'd pack the canister full of bio media then put only sponges in the HOB. Doing it this way would give you the max bio filtration from your canister and max mechanical filtration from the HOB plus the sponges would also have BB grow on it.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty