· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

1. Default lots of floating food particles in tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys! I searched all over but was not able to find a solution. My tank is a 65 gallon, 4 foot long cichlid tank. There are 4 mbuna, one catfish and one pleco in there. The problem that i'm having is lots and lots of floating particles in the water. They are all the same color as the food so it must be from that and it looks really gross in an otherwise neat looking tank.

I feed the fish pellets and they seem to spit a lot of it out through their gills as they break the pellets down. It doesn't help that they try and beat others to them so they fit more in their mouth than they can eat and then end up spitting it all over the place. i'm definitely not overfeeding them. Even if i skip a day then only feed each one a single pellet they end up making a mess by spitting a bunch of the particles through their gills. The catfish is good for picking up a lot of the scraps that fall down. However there are A LOT of particles floating around and since it gtes substantially worse after a feeding, i would imagine it is just food particles.

The tank is fully cycled and the ammonia levels are very low! I have a Fluval 305 filter and I have tried adding very fine pads into one of the trays and no change. I put a second pad in another tray and still no change. The pad itself is very dirty and obviously catching a lot of stuff, but the tank water does not look any clearer.

If you watch the intake tube it is constantly pulling in particles. My friend has a 60 gallon tank with a Fluval 404 and the water is immaculate!! When i opened up her filter it had nothing special going for it inside. Looked same as mine.

I have also tried skipping a day of feeding and that helps things a little, but then i feed them and i'm back to square 1.

The food that i've been trying is 1) Top Fin small ichlid pellets 2) New Life spectrum 3mm sinking pellets. Both seem to be eaten with excitement, spat through the gills and create a mess.

Do you any advice for me?

- Should i try different food? if so what? Flakes?
    - Do you think in a 4 ft tank the intake is too far from the output and water isn't being "pushed" to the intake well enough?
    - Should i be adding more than two fine filter pads in the filter?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to provide as much info as i can. Here is a pic of the tank:

Last edited by thunder_struck; 04-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.