· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Large water change: check
    Nitrates/Nitrites/pH: good
    One dalmatian: dead -- contorted/bent/curved in a 'c' shape and bloated belly (happened within a dayish) but not flipped belly up
    Dalmatian 2: either already dead or almost, belly up now but earlier was head pointed down and tail pointed up -- looks like both dalmations had/have some sort of air bladder issue (major sudden bloating within a 24 hourish period)
    Orange molly: either going to die or in shock or something -- just hiding out in a corner but no bloated belly or things like the dalmations
    The only two that seem "normal" is one fry and the black one. They're swimming around like noting is happening.

I feel horrible. :( I don't know what it is and watching them deteriorate and die within a 12 hour period being not able to help.
    Last edited by newbie235; 04-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Did you do large, multiple water changes as suggested? This will dilute any harmful toxins you introduced to the tank.
    Toilet fish went into isolation.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah ok. Hmmm...that's worrying to have such a fast die off. And your water parameters are all ok?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. And today, I found the other Datamation dead. :( The orange one is still kinda sitting at the bottom and black one is starting to worry me now. :( She sits at the bottom but darts around and then sinks and sits at the bottom, sometimes swims like a normal fish.

I have three of these too, Spotted Cories(?) and they're doing quite well.
    img_0155_sm.jpg
    Last edited by newbie235; 04-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    They're peppered cories. Sweet little things, one of my favourites.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Such a fast die-off, with the bloating, swimming trouble and/or lethargy sure sounds to me like there is a contaminant in your water. Are you sure you dechlorinated with your last water change(s)? It's good you have no nitrites, but you might want to test for ammonia, as well.

Did you add anything to the tank recently (say, in the last week)? And I mean anything--new equipment, new plant, new decorations. Did you do anything major to the tank, like scrubbing off all the decorations? If so, I would remove the object(s) in question and perform several massive water changes. If you have a deep substrate and did anything to really churn it up, that could cause problems as well.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not added anything recently (objects) and I always add drops to the water before I add water to the tank to dechlorinate. I rinse off objects well when I do add and never wash using some sort of solution or soap. I also haven't scrubbed things clean...

The only thing I can think of is that it might be the food. I changed to granulates instead of flakes and added algae wafers. The fish seemed to always suck a flake in and then spit it out. With the granulates, they were small enough it seemed where they could just eat instead of spitting the pieces out. Once this whole thing started, I switched back to just flakes. Last night, I tried the granulates and algae wafers and my one black molly is lethargic and the cories aren't swimming like they were before. I can't find my orange one, but I don't want to stick my hand in the tank searching for him sending him into shock. So I guess I'm sticking to just flakes?

The granulates and flaked food are the same brand and both are specified as tropical. The algae wafers are also the same brand and I've never had an issue with them before when I had plecos.
    Last edited by newbie235; 04-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If food is too large for a fish to eat, they will do that - eat one and spit it out until it softens & breaks apart into smaller pieces - this goes for pellets or flakes. Most fish will eat a variety - if they're hungry & the food fits into their mouths, it'll get eaten!

When you wrote nitrites/nitrates - good - what does that mean? Nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are at 20ppm or less? What is your most recent ammonia reading?

You havent' replaced any filter media right?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    How old is your food (as in since opening)? Sometimes fish will start this "spitting out" behaviour when it's gone stale. That's normally the point I throw it away and buy a fresh pot.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Food is new. It has been opened within the last couple of weeks. No filter change either, but I think I might need to change something because it stinks. I found the orange fish and it looks like he's been dead for a few days (fins and body look like they've been snacked on - some chunks of fin missing, some scales looked missing/color gone - no fluffy white stuff, looked clean).

All readings come out well below (0 and lower than 20). pH reading is about a 7.8. How the heck do I lower alkalinity?! That reading is way off of the chart thing -- very high/no proper ID for it.

The spine on the black molly is now starting to turn into an "s" shape and it wasn't like that a few hours ago, or at least I didn't look very close to notice it. The one fry is pecking away fine at food.

I feel horrible.... :( I had a goldfish and pleaco for years until I had to move suddenly (not going into details) and they seemed to be able to survive numerous wars of fin rot and parasites and I can't figure out why my mollies are dying off so quickly..
    Last edited by newbie235; 04-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.