· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Sump maintenance questions

0 Not allowed!
    So I've read about cleaning the main tank, doing weekly water changes, and topping up the water to keep the salinity reading as close to 1.026 as possible at all times, which I do daily, weekly or when it's time.

But what about the sump maintenance? My sump has been running for 3 months and I'm seeing some sediment in all chambers. Should I vacuum the stuff out, do I need to do a thorough cleaning? I do not have any live rock or rubble in the sump, clear glass bottom. Just curious what other do to their saltwater sumps.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    For me, it's not different than my main tank. The "crud" that is building up in your tank can break down and add nutrients into your water just as a build up of "crud" can do that in your display tank. I use filter socks on my sump to help prevent any particles from getting in there in the first place. Anything the gets through can build up in a few corners so I will clean that out every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't get too much build up at all due to the filter socks and the powerheads I have in my sump.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    No socks here and a power head in the sump.... neat idea! I have seen sumps with socks on the down pipes but I thought it would clog up and over flow so heck with it. Maybe I'll give those micro filters a try.
    I take it if you have a power head in the sump you probably have some live rock in there as well?
    I've been thinking of crushing some up to stick in there.

0 Not allowed!
    Socks can clog up if allowed to stay in use for too long. I know that had happened to me a few times when I got a little lazy. If you keep the top rim of the sock well below the top of the sump, you'll be fine.

I do have live rock in my sump, but not rubble rock. Only medium sized pcs of rock (baseball sized and a little bigger). I don;t like using rubble in a sump as it will catch and hold all kinds of "crud" in small little hiding spots the rubber rock will create. The larger pcs of rocks and a powerhead will allow for good water movement will help to increase your filtration capacity. You could also add some macro algae to your live rock compartment with lighting on a reverse schedule from you main tank lights to help with nutrient exporting and to also help stabilize your pH
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. Thanks Cliff. My new project.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I never have cleaned my sumps except for the fuge. For some reason on my 120g it always collected stuff on the bottom and once a year I would try to clean it. Other than that I just have filter pads that I replace 1-2 weeks and sometimes re-use if I have not bought more.

Like cliff said, its all extra nutrients.

The new thing I have been doing is every 3-6 months is clean the pumps.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!