· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Do all plants need added fertilizer?

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering doing a lightly planeted tank. Could Vallisneria Americana and Hygrophila difformis survive with out ferts. Also if not, are there even any that can? And if their are please recommend some. It is a 55 gallon tank(48Lx12Wx21H inches) With 2 54 watt t5ho bulbs 8 inches above the lip of the tank(what I believe to be medium lighting). Also they should be relatively hardy as I have firemouth cichlids(I know they dig) it seems like they don't eat plants but I have found a couple of people who say theirs did.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They will grow fine especially with your lighting. You picked two resilient plants but IMO I would just buy a pack of flourish tabs and stick them by the roots, they're cheap and would cause those particular plants to flourish under your lighting.

You don't need any liquid ferts, alternatively you can add some anubias which needs pretty much nothing once its' rhizome isn't buried.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I have been considering Anubias, but from what I have found they grow very slowly, is this true?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They're different variations, all grow relatively 'slow' compared to other aquarium plants. Under the right conditions you will get a new leaf every 3-4 weeks (low light), under your medium light. once it's been established in your tank, expect great growth.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool I just don't want to have one little anubias that you can barely tell has grown and a bunch of other plants that are growing very well.

0 Not allowed!
    That's a risk you're running with anubias

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if firemouth cichlids would eat the plants as I have no personal experience with them so ill defer to talldutchie on this.

The end result will still be your Anubias growing slower than the rest of your plants.

0 Not allowed!
    I meant slow growth. There's extremely little that will actually eat an anubias. Even ravenous goldies seem to avoid them. Biggest risk from fish damage is fish rearranging their tanks.