· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, having tested the water that's sat out for a good 14 hours, it's not the tap water. pH remained around 7.4-7.6 and while the hardness varied a little bit from the original tap water, it seems to me that the insane pH drop and gH rise is going on in the tank. Under the suggestion of my chemistry teacher friend, I'm going to add some calcium to the tank to act as a buffer. Any other suggestions?
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers"
    -55 Planted Community: Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, a large mixed school of Bronze, Agassiz, and Panda cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, African Dwarf Water Frogs, and a mated pair of Kribs
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is very puzzling to me, GH & KH usually go hand in hand, differing by +/- 20ppm. IMO it's easier for water in a tank to raise in pH than lower unless you have a lot of almond leaves / leeching driftwood. If your KH is low I know a lot of planted tank enthusiasts use Arm & Hammer baking soda to raise theirs. I will test how much you need in that bucket before adding it in your tank to determine correct dosage.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The huge difference between the two hardness values was a shocker to me too, especially as it's coming out of the tap that way. I have three fairly big pieces of driftwood in the tank, but at the same time it's older-it's been in the tank two or three years at this point, and two of the pieces were boiled/soaked before that. It is a fairly heavily planted tank, so it's got to be that causing the huge drop in pH.
    -55 Planted Community: Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, a large mixed school of Bronze, Agassiz, and Panda cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, African Dwarf Water Frogs, and a mated pair of Kribs
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    How often and large are your water changes? It sounds somewhat like "old tank syndrome" to me. That will incur from water changes too small or not often enough.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    30%, realistically every ten days. Thing is, this used to crop up when it was 30-40% every week like clockwork too.

6. Default Strange water chemistry transition from tap to tank

0 Not allowed!
    Heavily planted tanks may cause the kh to lower due to them using the carbonates in your water to fuel new growth. I suspect this is what is causing your ph fluctuations.

You can either increase your water changes which will help stabilise your kh or add baking soda to increase kh.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to go for a little bit of both approaches. I'd love to do water changes super frequently, but realistically the time just isn't there. What's the normal amount of baking soda one uses in this sort of application?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=146029

Post #2 should help you on dosage.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, thanks.