· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Strange water chemistry transition from tap to tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all, it's been quite a while since I had a chance to post-life has been very busy-but I snagged a few minutes specifically to try and figure out this problem that's been bugging me for literally years now.

My water changes pretty radically from tap to tank and I think it's negatively affecting my fish as it reduces their immunity and renders them vulnerable to something that seems to resemble a fungus.

Out of the tap, my Long Island water reads pH 7.4, with a kH of 2 and a gH of around 125.

In the tank, with a significant water change done less than 48 hours prior, those numbers are pH of 6, KH of 4 and a gH of around 179.

In all cases, no ammonia or NO2, trace amounts of NH3 in the tank-it is heavily planted.

Few observations:
    This issue has persisted through a tank replacement, a 90%+ substrate replacement, virtually 100% turnover in livestock, and replacement of filter media. When it's really noticeable, fish get a whitish sort of tinge to their fins and sometimes eyes, and when it's really bad, it'll look like peeling skin. No medication I've encountered-antibiotics, antifungals, pimafix, melafix-have ever really knocked it out. Huge water changes can briefly mitigate the problem but within a few hours it'll crop up again. It's been so bad sometimes that the tank will be fine when you leave for work in the morning and when you get home half a dozen fish are dead from it. It's also proven to be a consistent graveyard for inverts-I can't get shrimp or even snails to last more than a month or two.

The real baffling thing is that it'll eventually stop for a while, and just when I think the problem is gone for good, it comes back again.

Decor in the tank is live plants, play sand, driftwood, and various aquarium safe rocks. There's a single plastic aquarium "rock" that I use to anchor java fern to.

As it may seem, I'm completely baffled. If you remove the fish from the tank and put them on their own in a bucket, most of the time the filminess clears up and the fish seem to recover.

I would imagine the kH and gH numbers seeming so very different could be an issue, as is the huge drop in pH. Suggestions on what to do here? I know driftwood can decrease pH a little, but not this much, and the huge hardness shift could be what's nuking the inverts. I feel like the change in water parameters when I do a water change is affecting the fish's immune systems, leaving them vulnerable.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers"
    -55 Planted Community: Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, a large mixed school of Bronze, Agassiz, and Panda cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, African Dwarf Water Frogs, and a mated pair of Kribs
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Check your water it sounds like a gas is added that causes a huge ph rise then it evaporates or particles settle and the ph falls. I have a similar problem and how I get around it to stick an air stone in a bucket and let it run for awhile till the ph settles out (mine takes about an hour normally). Doing this for that large of a drop might take all day but its well worth it that big of a drop is very stressful for the fish. After the ph is settled I scoop it out in a old milk carton that I cut to size as to not disrupt my plants. Try this and see if it works I think its the simplest way to go.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oof that would be annoying, although I guess with the Python it still wouldn't be so bad. I'll try that tomorrow. If anyone else has any suggestions in the mean time, please, throw 'em my way.

Further observation on the malady that inspired all this chemistry-it definitely affects small fish worse than bigger fish. Cardinal tetras look like they've got a toomah, whereas the angelfish barely notice anything's wrong.
    -55 Planted Community: Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, a large mixed school of Bronze, Agassiz, and Panda cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, African Dwarf Water Frogs, and a mated pair of Kribs
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You won't be able to use a python to fill the tank if my suggestion works. You have to let the water sit and aerate till its settled. It makes sense that the cardinals were effected more, I didn't discover I had this problem till I had the tank set up for almost 3 months before one of my blood fins died. Don't do any water changes till you get it figured out you'll be doing more harm then good with 1.4 swing in ph in a short time.
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh sure, but I can use the python to drain the tank and fill the buckets. It's annoying, but what are you going to do.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats what I thought you ment was just clarifying :). Hopefully doing that helps its diffidently a pain in the butt but at least for me it works.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Loose the Play sand.

Jeff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When did play sand become an issue? For the longest time it seemed like the universal inexpensive-but-workable substrate solution.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt the play sand is altering the water parameters. I would fill a bucket and aerate it overnight, test your parameters before and after and post back your findings. Make sure the bucket/container you use is clean.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great minds think alike, I did exactly that this morning before I left to go to work.