· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Emperor Tetra death.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 10 emperor tetras in my 55g along with 2 zebra loaches(will get 4 more soon) 2 Madagascar rainbowfish(will get 4 more soon), 1 pearl gourami, and 2 chocolate gourami.
    One of them died today randomly and I am pretty clueless to how. What I think happened:
    1) old age. They are all 1 1/4 to 2 inches.
    2) sickness. They were purhased 4 days ago so this may be possible.
    3) aggression. This is probably the least possible because there is not any aggression, the only thing that happens is the loaches chase other fish away from their driftwood, they don't keep attacking.

Please help so I can do something to fix this.

0 Not allowed!
    I assume these fish weren't quarantined 1st as you got them 4 days ago & noted they are in your 55gal.

I also assume your water parameters were good prior to adding them?

Have you checked your parameters since you added them to see if there might have been an ammonia spike?

It is possible that it succumbed to the stress of being transferred as well.

Did it look different then the rest of them? Perhaps one of your gouramis is the culprit?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another thought is how did you acclimate them? Different water conditions plus the stress of transportation would be a likely cause of death sight unseen.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Acclimated them for an hour. The gouramis get along perfect with these, an the chocolates are usually in the plants anyways. The water is clean, and I will do a water change soon.

0 Not allowed!
    Could be bad stock... could be the conditions they were kept in at the pet store or the breeder. Could be aggression you didn't see, because it happened at night or when you weren't looking. Could be osmotic shock... any number of things. Could just be stress from transportation.

Did you notice anything different about them, before they croaked? Anything w/ their eyes, fins, scales, coloration, swimming ability, etc?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2 of them kinda stayed at the top for a little while 2 says ago. And just did a water test, nothing wrong except the typical water hardness.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If another dies and its not working out, ill get 6 of a diffirent type of rainbowfish since they are compatible with everything I currently have. I can rehome them in my 6x8 tropical pond where even baby platies make it to full grown.

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of filtration do you have going on in there? HOB, canister w/ spray bar, etc?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another died today... One more and these are getting moved... I observed them and there is nothing wrong. It's for sure that there is something wrong with the fish because I have 2 chocolate gouramis which I would assume could die much easier, especially because they are only an inch.

@kevin: The tank's brand is top fin, it's the double 55/75 filter. Did a filter change today.

If the emperors don't work out ill get 6 boesemani or red rainbows.
    If I have rainbowfish, which are middle dwellers, loaches, and gourami only, this should work out. The tetras just might not be compatible with this group. Since pearl gouramis and the rainbowfish get bigger than the loaches and I have a safe top-dwelling area for the chocolate gouramis, I think the loaches would keep to their own and it would work out. Ill just have to see how it goes though.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another died. They have been moved. Although this is a huge upset, they would be a problem when my loaches get bigger. I'm going to get 6 more of some rainbowfish instead of these.