· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy OK to set up a large tub as makeshift aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    Hope I've got this in the right place.

Long story short I've bought a second hand tank 100l or so tank. Tank came with an "Albino shark" Epalzeorhynchos munense.

Basically, my plan to transport this tank has gone to pot. The tank was broken down when I got there and all the filter pads and media had been replaced. Water was drained, wasn't able to reserve any of the bacteria at all.

So I've got the shark sitting in a 100l "tub" that I bought as part of an water changing system. It's heated, aerated, has a lid and I've thrown some of the old decorations from his tank in there. This was only supposed to be a temporary arrangement while I broke down the tank (preserving the bacteria) and transported it back to my house. Problem is while I've been cleaning the gravel from the tank I've... become slightly uncomfortable returning him to those conditions.

I've found fish bones in the media, (looks like a little skull of some description) and the water I'm siphoning out is... just black. It smells bad, it looks bad. I've been siphoning water out and then re-filling it and draining it again. Been at it for hours and I'm just not comfortable with the amount of gunk still in there. I'd really like to strip the tank down, clean it up properly, put down some sand and the plastic plants and log that I've got in the post. (Bought the plants for a quarantine tank, easy to clean).

Seeming as the bacteria is gone anyway, am I OK to keep him in the storage tank for a prolonged period of a week or so while I totally replace the substrate and just generally sort out the main tank? I can put the internal filter into the tub, put in the "SafeStart" and run it as a normal tank for a few weeks.

I just feel like if it's coming down to an uncycled tub that's not full of fish carcasses and grime.... or an uncycled tank that is full of that crud... the tub seems like a better option.

Sorry for the rushed post, it's been quite a harrowing day as this is the first fish I've ever kept and I feel like I'm in way over my head here...

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    As long as the tub has a filter and heater it will be fine. How long was the media from the old filter out of the filter? If it did not dry out it will still have some bacteria and some is better than none. You can rinse it out a bit in clean dechlorinated water and it still might have enough bacteria to at least help the tank get cycled faster.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately there's not even the old filter pads.

They threw them out and replaced them with new ones which haven't even seen water before. I've returned the old decorations to the water as quick as possible though in case they harboured some bacteria still.

Trying not to get cross as I had brought buckets for transporting the media in with some of the old tank water. Best laid plans and all that...

Much appreciated, I'll get the filter installed and hope for the best.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Well rats, I guess you are starting from scratch. Just treat the tub like any other tank and test it daily for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and water change accordingly. Once you get the tank set up and running move everything from the tub over to the tank and continue the cycle there.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Filter installed. It wouldn't quite stick to the side of the tub so it's just kind of standing on the bottom... I've secured the wire so it can't move though. I've got a couple of master testing kits all ready to go as well.

Aquarium sand is ordered and should be with me soonish. I'll strip down and clean the tank out tomorrow, too late now to start. It amazes me how these tanks get into such a state... the amount of crud that came out of the substrate was just beyond belief. It was like someone had emptied an entire pot of flake food into a tank filled with cola...

0 Not allowed!
    I use tubs as fry growouts and even temporary tanks for months at a time. Perfectly fine to use as long you filter them. If there is a chance the bin/tub may bow out, you can tie a rope around it to keep it from bowing. Since the filter isn't cycled, I would do daily water changes for a while and keep an eye on the water quality.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Korith, that's a good idea. Despite it being a tank built purposely for holding water it is bowing slightly. How much should it be bowing out before I need to be concerned? It's hardly noticeable at the moment.

Tested the water this morning. Got a reading on both ammonia and nitrite. No reading for nitrate. Maybe some of the bacteria was smuggled over on the filter casing or decorations? Either way it's a very mild reading on the nitrite. I can't be more specific than that because, to be honest, the test kit is utter rubbish. The colours look nothing like the chart and it's nigh on impossible to properly read it. The other test kit I have is for salt water and while the solutions are the same, the charts are not. API Freshwater test kit in the post! What an expensive 30 setup...

Fish seems well, scouting about for food and no signs of stress so far. Not at all nervous or timid. Quite an entertaining little fellow to watch!

Old tank is stripped down and about to undergo cleaning.

Thanks for all the help!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Use this one, hopefully it is better.

post-27037-1208653797_thumb.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's brilliant. Going by those sheets I've got zero nitrites and my ammonia is 1.0.

Off to do a second water change! I think I'll be changing about 25% of the water, twice a day for a while.

Thanks!