· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is it safe to use 2 fertilizers?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium with some crypts, wisteria, aponegeton bulbs, and a banana plant. Recently I managed to sprout a lily bulb that grows the red lilies. I currently use Seachem Flourish excel (the one that adds carbon). I was thinking of also incorporating Flourish Iron because I heard red plants need more iron. Would it be safe to just dose Flourish Excel on one day then Flourish Iron on the next and keep that pattern? Or would switching to Flourish Comprehensive be the best option?

I know another option is to use the tabs, but I'd like to avoid that for now. It seems like more work to have to bury them and then dig them up when they expire. I'm also worried I might mess with my plant's roots in the process. Is this true or am I just overestimating the hassle?
    Last edited by learis; 04-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding of root tabs is that they eventually dissolve on their own (I could be wrong there) - I know many people here who use both liquid ferts & root tabs based upon how their plants absorb the nutrients - via roots or leaves.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    There's certainly some truth to your idea that inserting tabs will do some root damage.

Adding only iron makes little to no sense, pretty soon your plants will run low on nutrients. Go for a general one, you can always add a little iron if you don't like the colour.

And mixing by adding different stuff on different days will be no issue at all.

0 Not allowed!
    Using Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, &/or Iron, or any other ferts with Excel would be safe and not cause any problems for your livestock, if that's what concerns you.

Using root tab ferts is also not a problem. Very easy to insert them quickly into your substrate, where they'll be used up by the plants over a period of several months - usually 4 to 6 months or so, at which time they have pretty much disappeared (having been gradually taken up by the rooted plants) and need replacing. They certainly won't mess with the plant roots in any way. You should only need to use 2 or 3 in a 10 gal tank.
    Hope this helps.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I guess I'll just try out the tabs and the flourish comprehensive.

0 Not allowed!
    Flourish tabs are rated for dosing once every 3+ months. The comprehensive suggests twice per week, but it's been my experience that once per week is fine, otherwise it can lead to algae growth. Excel should be added, based on how much lighting you have. What kind of lighting are we talking about? Low/med/high light? Do you know the wpg? Anyway, the lower the light, the less excel/carbon you'll need. More light - more carbon.

Iron is fine, but I'd dose every other day - or you could sparse it out even more. Too much iron can lead to staghorn algae growth. Keep in mind how fast your plants grow... the faster the growth the faster they'll consume ferts.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?