· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Lionfish question

0 Not allowed!
    im interested in haveing a Pterois volitans in the future i was wondering thought would a 56 Gallon be enough for this fish? i was only wanting this and no other fish in the tank the tank is 30" W x 18" D x 24" H Would this be to small for it? im just trying to see what everything would run n was just curious Or can anyone give me size to a decent tank that dosen`t take up alot of room for one?
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-23-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    "(1) Angelfish,,1 Zebra Nerite"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass
    10 Gallon with a betta,3oto

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had seen somewhere that these are not allowed to be imported any longer. Not sure of that. They tend to grow fairly large over time and a small tank makes it hard to maintain the tank without getting tagged by them. If you are allergic you have problems. I have been hit by some big ones and as fast as you can very hot water and Bo Peep ammonia to clot the protein complex toxin can keep you out of some trouble until you get checked out.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i was looking at my pet stores they have them uslay labled as Black Volitans lion or Turkey Fish and they have them 0.o and yeah was debating if the smaller tank would be to much as far as i know i only have allergies to penicillin which is an antibotic i never had problems with anything else but i never been stung by a lion fish ether so not sure.i`ve always been interested in these as a kid so was trying to figure out if i can find something thats not to costly snice i only want the 1 fish.Im going to keep trying to find somthing bigger then it because the only other thing one of my fish stores sell is a 65 Gallon( 36.4"L x 18.4"W x 25"H) but its not much bigger then the 56. So being that a 56 would probly be to small any recommended Sizes?

OR do u think im better off starting with a smaller type? like Radiata Lionfish or Antennata Lionfish i know those 2 would fit in a 56 or 65 hmm?
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-23-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...279&pcatid=279

Here is just a quick link with basic info about this fish. This site sells them so it must not be illegal to import or own them.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    When you consider the size these guys will commonly get (which is around 12 inches, body size only) and the requirements for hiding spots and spots for them just to “hang out”, you would need a lot larger tank than a 56 gallon. The minimum I would suggest would be a four foot long 120 gallon tank.

What about dwarf lionfish, like a Fu Manchu ?
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-24-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i like the lionfish look to them and was looking into Dwarf ones now because i don`t think a 120 gallon would fit in apartment ._. so maybe in future when i look into haveing a house. as for the Fu Manchu its cute but idk it dosen`t have the look of a lionfish to me and i haven`t seen any of them for sale or in my area. hmm what about a Dendrochirus zebra?I have noticed these and also have seen Pterois radiata and Pterois mombasae in my area for sale.

0 Not allowed!
    A Zebra dwarf lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra) would certainly work. Mombasa Lionfish (Pterois mombasae) would be pushing it but could work, but a Radiata Lionfish (Pterois radiata) would most likely out grow a 56 gallon tank. Any of the larger bodied lionfish would be very risky in a 56 gallon tank.

But that is just based on what I have read about those fish. I have only kept the Fu Manchu, Russels, and Volitan lionfish.You have to keep in mind that you need a tank big enough to not only home the fully grown fish, but also provide enough room for you to create cave like structures with you rock as well as ledges for them to hang out on while still leaving some swimming space. I have included a picture below so you can get a idea of what I mean

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm ok im going to have to do alot more research but like i said this is for the future im just trying to figure out everything before i go out there n buy a tank n such.Probly going to finish my fresh water community before i ever start but going to put away money probly starting now towards it.Also that looks so cool! 0.o

im going to see how much bigger a tank i could fit but i might look into a 65gallon n figure out if i can fit a mombasa comfortably in there or not if not im going to just look into the Zebra Dwarf
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-24-2013 at 01:44 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with the dwarf lion fish and the biggest tank you can get.

I think a 48" long x 24" high x 24" depth (120g) will be a great setup. It still can be moved by two people and has room for rock and fish to swim. The nice thing about the dwarf is other average SW fish won't fit in their mouth.

Not sure where you live but may be worth checking out craigslist for tanks and setups. Even if you had to drive a ways sometimes the savings is worth it. I bought an entire 110g SW reef setup for $300. Generally the tank is the cheapest part of the setup.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im going to have to start looking then 0.o maybe i`ll luck out n find a tank that way then.