· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default DIY pond filter type canister (no internal pumps)

0 Not allowed!
    Just got my new (to me) , gently used, food grade 8 gallon open top drum in the mail. It has a plastic lid with O ring gasket and a metal clamp ring to seal it up. This little jewel only cost me 12.50 on Ebay plus the shipping. I don't have all of the pvc fittings yet, But I figured I would start a work log (journal) on what I was doing and share with the good citizens of our community. I will certainly look forward to reading comments and suggestions as it goes along, this will take a little time to complete as I need to buy materials here and there as I can afford them, so hang in there with me. Got the time, the 150 is cycling. But here are a few pics to get us going for now.

little dude and big daddy (55 gallons) for size comparison.

So, basically I am going to make 2 holes in the lid #1) in the center which is going to be the 3/4" feed tube running to the bottom into a void where a uniform pocket of water will develop. As it fills it will fluidize the media. #2) off to the side of the inlet. When it fills up, the water pressure will displace the water and force it out of this 2nd hole and up the return line. I'm sure many people here know how a PhosBan reactor works and is setup. In effect this will be a huge reactor filled with floss, pads, bio-media and activated carbon.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Wonder how you'll handle the hose connectors.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Fine question you have posed there, I am happy you asked. I like to see people thinking through possible problems. I can go 1 of 2 ways. 1) I can bulkhead the lid and either slip/thread a hose barb into the bulkhead, depending on which type I use. OR #2) I can go the less expensive way and use pvc MIPT x slip and FIPT x FIPT adapters (as a bulkhead) with silicone to seal it. Apply an unbroken bead of silicone to the top and bottom adapters, let it cure to form a water tight gasket. The MIPT x slip adapter would go to the inside of the lid with the threads sticking out and screw on the FIPT adapter and screw the MIPT barb into with Teflon tape. after tightening, apply more silicone around the fittings to help insure that it wont leak. To the inside, we then slip 3/4" pvc pipe into the adapter and run the inlet down to the bottom with an end cap and drill many holes in the pipe above the cap to distribute water evenly to all sides. For the outlet side we simply don't add a pipe inside. On both hose barbs we use short sections of vinyl hose where we attach barb fittings hooked to a union for disconnect and ball valves to the upper sides of the union to stop flow for maintenance. Voila.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently on the hunt for milk crates to cut the bottoms out so that I may use them as media trays to place the bags of carbon and filter pads on floss on. I will buy either bio balls or use ceramic bio media in the bottom void. I am also considering adding a ball valve to the bottom as a back flush but not sure it is needed.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any ideas on the water pump? What size tank are you using this for?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I am using 2 x 796 gph submersibles in tank and bridged together. they are going into my 150 gallon aquarium.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I am using 2 x 796 gph submersibles in tank and bridged together.
    Not clear what you mean by bridged? Do you mean combining the output hoses into 1? Would that be too much water flow to make this work efficiently, what is your expected water flow rate?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I connected both pumps together using pvc pipe on both the inlet and the outlet sides. They will be pumping from inside the tank, down to the filter then back up over the tank to a 20 gallon which will have my heaters, beginners plants (like java moss and fern) and maybe some fish If I can reduce the violence of the water entering. Then the water will gravity feed back to the display via 1.5" pipe. I am not positive but it should be around 750 - 800 gph into the overhead, after taking away for head pressure and elbows, etc.. I don't have a flow meter so I'm not sure. Probably going to make a spray bar to impede the rage into the 20 gallon so that I don't make salad. It should tone down quite a bit. I will know more once the filter is built and the bulkheads are drilled and plumbed.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So this will basically be your typical canister type filter not phosban reactor. When you mentioned phosban reactor and then the media you're planning on placing in there I was a bit confused.

One thing comes to mind. If your piping the 20 gal to display using the siphoning method you'll want to make sure you leave enough room in display take for the extra water if the power should go out. Also on same note I would not place any fish in the 20.
    Last edited by ijankrom; 04-23-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    25 Gal - Tropical