· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cherry Barbs & Tiger Barbs get along?

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if they get along with each other as well both Barbs.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    I really don't think so, my cherry barbs are so laid back and not very active, I think the tigers would beat up on them too much

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with above post - cherrys are very laid back compared with tiger barbs - cherrys are more appropriate for a community tank whereas tigers are better off in their own tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    How many Tigers do you have and in what sized tank? I would not add any other barbs with your tigers other than rosies, greens or albino's. And stock as many as you can........depending on tank size.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    How many Tigers do you have and in what sized tank? I would not add any other barbs with your tigers other than rosies, greens or albino's. And stock as many as you can........depending on tank size.
    Tank will be a 125 Gallon ,I want Tiger Barbs, but also want two different species in tank, are Cories good also

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reef12 View Post
    Tank will be a 125 Gallon ,I want Tiger Barbs, but also want two different species in tank, are Cories good also

Jeff
    In a 125, it's got a FAR better chance of working than in something like a 29. However, I am with lady hobbs - I think rosy barbs are a better fit. Just don't get the long finned variety.

I assume you meant 2 species of barbs, not 2 species in total. You could keep a number of bottom dwellers in the tank. I have angelicus, zebra and kuhli loaches in my 125, along with a BN, RL and a clown pleco. Plus a horseface loach.
    Last edited by jaysee; 04-23-2013 at 11:02 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so let's here some Varieties of fish.

No Oscars ,had them along with just about every Predator kind of fish there is except Shark.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a community setting this is my thoughts

School of tigers (if you really want tiger barbs)
    15-20 Cory
    2 BN Pleco
    School of Rosy Barbs

Or if you don't already have the tiger barbs you have endless possibilities

School of rainbows, congo tetras, the list goes on and on

0 Not allowed!
    In that large of a tank you could keep a much wider range of fish with the tiger barbs. The main reason why tiger barbs have the reputation they do is because people keep them in too small of a tank. In my experience, they should not be kept in less than a 4 foot tank, unless you want to do a species tank.

I like a variety of species, so I would get Corys and loaches, a couple kinda of plecos, some cichlids, a couple barbs, tetras, and something for the top, either giant danios or rainbows, or both. You could probably throw in a 3 spot gourami or two as well. 125 really is a lot of tank, which makes things possible that are not necessarily a good idea in small tanks.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't put cherries in with tigers. I keep cherries and they are shy, gentle things (for barbs). No doubt they would be bullied.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~