· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cherry Barbs & Tiger Barbs get along?

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if they get along with each other as well both Barbs.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    I really don't think so, my cherry barbs are so laid back and not very active, I think the tigers would beat up on them too much

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with above post - cherrys are very laid back compared with tiger barbs - cherrys are more appropriate for a community tank whereas tigers are better off in their own tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    How many Tigers do you have and in what sized tank? I would not add any other barbs with your tigers other than rosies, greens or albino's. And stock as many as you can........depending on tank size.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    How many Tigers do you have and in what sized tank? I would not add any other barbs with your tigers other than rosies, greens or albino's. And stock as many as you can........depending on tank size.
    Tank will be a 125 Gallon ,I want Tiger Barbs, but also want two different species in tank, are Cories good also

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reef12 View Post
    Tank will be a 125 Gallon ,I want Tiger Barbs, but also want two different species in tank, are Cories good also

Jeff
    In a 125, it's got a FAR better chance of working than in something like a 29. However, I am with lady hobbs - I think rosy barbs are a better fit. Just don't get the long finned variety.

I assume you meant 2 species of barbs, not 2 species in total. You could keep a number of bottom dwellers in the tank. I have angelicus, zebra and kuhli loaches in my 125, along with a BN, RL and a clown pleco. Plus a horseface loach.
    Last edited by jaysee; 04-23-2013 at 11:02 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so let's here some Varieties of fish.

No Oscars ,had them along with just about every Predator kind of fish there is except Shark.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a community setting this is my thoughts

School of tigers (if you really want tiger barbs)
    15-20 Cory
    2 BN Pleco
    School of Rosy Barbs

Or if you don't already have the tiger barbs you have endless possibilities

School of rainbows, congo tetras, the list goes on and on

0 Not allowed!
    In that large of a tank you could keep a much wider range of fish with the tiger barbs. The main reason why tiger barbs have the reputation they do is because people keep them in too small of a tank. In my experience, they should not be kept in less than a 4 foot tank, unless you want to do a species tank.

I like a variety of species, so I would get Corys and loaches, a couple kinda of plecos, some cichlids, a couple barbs, tetras, and something for the top, either giant danios or rainbows, or both. You could probably throw in a 3 spot gourami or two as well. 125 really is a lot of tank, which makes things possible that are not necessarily a good idea in small tanks.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't put cherries in with tigers. I keep cherries and they are shy, gentle things (for barbs). No doubt they would be bullied.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~