· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Cholla Wood

Default Cholla Wood

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have a good source for any? Looking to buy some, but eBay isn't the cheapest for a few pieces

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hobby Lobby sells some don't know if Fish tank ready, also Pets mart, Petco ,look in the Lizard dept.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    Had the same problem finding an affordable source. Try aquabid, the prices there are cheaper than the ebay prices. Got a dozen or so pieces from someone on aquabid, worked out to a little under $2 a piece. May be able to get a better deal from someone plantedtank forum.

Cholla looks great in tanks. The pieces seem to last around 1.5 years before they get so thin they fall apart.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea a friend of mine said he pays a woman through paypal and she mails him a box full from her yard for like $10. I'm just wondering if we have any members that have this stuff growing out around them. So of the prices on eBay are nuts, 1 12" piece is $13 + $9 shipping. To the person selling it, its just a stick from there yard lol

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Yea a friend of mine said he pays a woman through paypal and she mails him a box full from her yard for like $10. I'm just wondering if we have any members that have this stuff growing out around them. So of the prices on eBay are nuts, 1 12" piece is $13 + $9 shipping. To the person selling it, its just a stick from there yard lol
    I took a look on planted tank. Found someone selling pieces http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=312425 10+ x 6" piece = $1.25/each prices seem good, no idea how much they charge for shipping.

If you can find someone that has cholla growing in their yard go for it and then ship me some too!

0 Not allowed!
    It's beautiful wood but not sure on the use in fish tanks. Often the wood used in lizard tanks are soft woods that rots in water. (Why lizard tank wood and fish tank wood is separated in fish stores.) This wood has a lot of openings, therefore not a solid, hard-wood, so I don't know if it will sink for you and if it does, will it rot? I have no idea but would take a bit of time to research it first. It's often used in centerpieces, etc.

I tried to get my son to ship me some cypress wood from CA but he said it was protected and he wasn't allowed to pick it up and send it. Darn it!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    It's beautiful wood but not sure on the use in fish tanks. Often the wood used in lizard tanks are soft woods that rots in water. (Why lizard tank wood and fish tank wood is separated in fish stores.) This wood has a lot of openings, therefore not a solid, hard-wood, so I don't know if it will sink for you and if it does, will it rot? I have no idea but would take a bit of time to research it first. It's often used in centerpieces, etc.
    Cholla is fairly soft, doesn't seem to rot that fast though. It's actually a cactus. Takes about a day to sink in the tank. Sometimes it's marketed towards pleco owners, apparently plecos go crazy for this stuff. It's hollow as well, so a nice hideout for some fish. If no fish like plecos eating it, should last I think maybe 2 years. Think the best thing about cholla is, it is so odd looking and unique compared to other woods normally found in tanks.

Here's a picture of 2 pieces of cholla. The one in front has been in the tank over a year and half, can see it's slowly getting eaten away. The one is back has been in there about a year.

Can buy it different sizes and widths. Many folks seem to sell them in 6" pieces to make the most out of the room in a box. Would be nice to get a larger piece to use as a centerpiece in a tank. Would be easy to anchor a plant like java fern into it as well.

0 Not allowed!
    It is pretty, isn't it. Glad to hear it can be used in fish tanks (not that I ever see it) but now I know. Your shrimp are looking great!

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard its great for shrimp, they love cleaning all the microbes off of it