· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default A few questions about my new 65 gallon tank setup- cycling, filter placement, decor

0 Not allowed!
    I just setup my 65 gallon freshwater tank that I am converting to from a 10 gallon. Rinsed a 50lb bag of PFS and am using that as the substrate, also am using two AquaClear 70 HOB filters and am waiting on two ViaAqua 200W heaters that should be coming in two days. I also added the necessary amount of water conditioner and aquarium salt From the 10gal, I will be adding two lava rocks, an Asian gazebo decoration, and some hydrocotyle japan plants.

I have a low budget for decorating, so far the only things I have bought are a PVC pipe that i will glue rocks onto and 10 marimo moss balls. For the fish, so far my only ideas are a pleco, a few dwarf red crystal shrimp, a few pictus catfish (maybe), and the goldfish that is currently in my 10gal. I have had this combination minus the shrimp in the past and it has worked out perfectly. So any fish, plant, decor ideas are VERY appreciated.

So now for my questions-

Is it better to have two filters on one side or one on each? (I will have one heater on each side with one thermometer on each side)
    How long do I have to cycle the tank for and is there anything else that I need to add other than what I have already added?
    Is there anything that I could add to the water to make it cycle faster? I have a few chemicals and a test kit.
    How often should I stir the sand?

If there's anything else, I will update the post. Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest keeping both filters spread apart to get a better flow through the whole tank. Keep your heaters apart as well and in or near a area of higher flow for best results

As for the length of time to cycle a tank, every tank can be a little different. Far to many variables to be able to accurately predict that. Just let your test results tell you when you have finished cycling.

Are you planning to do a fishless cycle ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I put the filters on opposite ends & yes I am doing a fishless cycle, unless I add my goldfish, idk how that would work out though..

0 Not allowed!
    I cycled tanks for years with fish. I can tell you from first hand experience that cycling without fish is a lot easier, for both you and the fish. You will also be able to cycle a tank a lot faster when you cycle without fish as you can use higher levels of ammonia resulting in faster bacteria growth. Typically a tank can be cycled with fish in 3 to 5 weeks. There is nothing worng with cycling with fish when done correctly, IMO it is just extra time and work you can avoid
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn1414 View Post
    I have a low budget for decorating, so far the only things I have bought are a PVC pipe that i will glue rocks onto and 10 marimo moss balls. For the fish, so far my only ideas are a pleco, a few dwarf red crystal shrimp, a few pictus catfish (maybe), and the goldfish that is currently in my 10gal. I have had this combination minus the shrimp in the past and it has worked out perfectly. So any fish, plant, decor ideas are VERY appreciated.
    !
    Goldfish tend to shred plants. A "pleco" can mean many species in your country. A "common pleco" gets to be a foot long and will not be viable long term in your proposed tank size. Keeping any "pleco" together with a goldfish is a challenge. Either the goldfish is in perpetual summer or the "pleco" is freezing.

Pimelodus pictus has crustaceans as a natural diet.