· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How much will Seiryu stone affect my water chemistry?

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering getting some seiryu stone for my aquarium. But I have seen that it can affect water chemistry. How much will it affect water chemistry? And if it does will it be enough to stress out my fish? I am also considering adding some plants later on. I do 50% water changes weekly, would this be enough to combat the seiryu stone changing my water chemistry?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also anyone know the cheapest place to order/but it?

0 Not allowed!
    People use it for Iwagumi tanks all the time but without knowing the amount of stone and the tank size there's no way to even speculate on any possible effects... Make sense?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is a 55 gallon tank and I am looking at getting 10 pounds, though maybe eventually more.

0 Not allowed!
    ok ...

And the stock would also be relevant here... Some fish are obviously going to have less of an issue with high pH and hard water [Stable conditions are obviously optimal] Make sense?

[To insure you don't end up 'off the chart'] Also relevant are the parameters you are starting with?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Stock is 3 baby firemouth cichlids, a L200 pleco and 10 black skirt tetras. I have not yet tested the water for myself(I know I should) but according to the city the ph is 7.86, the hardness is 137ppm and the alkalinity is 111ppm.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering actually getting up to 20 pounds.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So based on the information provided how much will 10-20 pounds of seiryu stone affect my water quality?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only parameter it would effect would be your ph the only way to figure out if it will is to a vinegar test. To do this you pour some vinegar over the rock (I use a eye dropper and just a few drops) if it bubbles then it well rise your ph if it doesn't then it should be fine. The reaction occurs if the vinegar reacts with the carbonate if its present (carbonate is what effects the ph).
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have found is that Seiryu stone does bubble in vinegar and will raise your ph, but does anyone know how much? And if it does will weekly 50% water changes be enough to keep the ph down.