· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

Default Mystery Rainbowfish

0 Not allowed!
    So a little over a weeks ago, I bought some more spotted blue eye rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae) And asked the netter to aim for more females than males. Which he did alright on that part... but I ended up with one fish I'm fairly certain is not a gertrudae, although it does resemble a rainbowfish in general shape, and so I wasn't so certain when I first added her/him that it was an oddball.

I haven't been able to snap a good picture yet, but what is my major clue is that the coloration of this fish is not an all over yellow with spots, he's split color across his center axis like a boesmani rainbow would be. Front half is pale silverish and back half is darker like a purple or smokey blue in nature. His pectoral fins are very yellow and his tail does appear to have a yellow line at both the top and bottom edge.

So... I've been looking and I've not found one that looks likely as yet... .and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas, OR my other thought would be that I ended up with a very young bosemani fry perhaps... in which case if you have any photos to recommend of said specie at about the ~1-1.5 inch size to compare that would be great too.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    it more resembles a backwards Boesemani? or more like a lake kutubu rainbow?
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it's a form of pseudomugil furcatus. If you look it up most pictures will be of yellow fish but some also appear to have the blue rear like you described.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Coloration is more like a backwards Bosemani silver/goldish in the front with darker in the back.

I have 2 female furcatus and to me its not quite the same, so if its a furcatus then its from a completely different gathering place. I will try again to get photos, because quite frankly I am stumped.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I was back at the pet store, and based on what else had been in the tank with the gertrudae rainbows... I believe what I ended up with was a Oryzias sp. (Ricefish) They had had blue rice fish in that tank as well. As to which exact species version it is I'm not 100% even after looking at photos.

So not a rainbow at all.... but its another of those 3cm or less size fish.