· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Taking a Calculated Risk

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to take a small risk with the 72g. As many of you know the initial cardinal stock have been dropping like flies it seems. The water parameters are all good so I have to sum it up to either a bad batch of fish or just the fact that they are a very, very, very sensitive fish when it comes to pH. I only have 11 remaining cardinals so I decided to see what would happen if I introduced some other fish. Now before I start getting flamed here I did not go and buy any additional fish but I did transfer my 5 Zebra Danios from the 55g to the 72g since they are extremely healthy / hearty and the 55g has the same water params..

The Zebras have really taken to the tank. Will I continue to lose the cardinals? Maybe. It is a shame that I lost so many and may lose more but I decided to keep them and not return them to the store and as they don't need any additional stress of another transport. If they are going to die they might as well do it in a nice natural planted environment rather than the nasty tanks at pet supplies plus.

Now I still need to decide on the final stock to come but I really like the look of my serpae tetras in the 55g they sure have a nice red color.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry for all the trouble you've had with your cardinals. I hope things start to improve.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    So sorry for all the trouble you've had with your cardinals. I hope things start to improve.
    Thanks fishmommie~ it is unfortunate, they sure are a pretty fish. It is possible maybe the remaining 11 will survive.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the Serpae tetras. I started with 6 of the long fin ones. Low and behold one was the normal finned variety. Skip to a year later and the short fin one is the last left. I got him 5 friends recently from petsmart for 1.00 each. They are housed in a quarantine tank for now. I also picked up 8 harlequin rasbora for 2.00 each. They have a nice orange/red look to them as well.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Mike, this may be a good thing. The danio's are hearty so if they start dropping too that could be a serious indicator. I hope your 11 stay put. Good job thus far.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have both serpaes and harlequins, they look good together. Hope your "calculated risk" pays off, I reckon you have eliminated nearly every possibility apart from frail stock. Best of luck

0 Not allowed!
    You could reduce the risks by using a QT tank for the new fish and giving your current stock a little time and observation

I know using a QT tank can be a pain, but it will pay off for you in the long term
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Mike, this may be a good thing. The danio's are hearty so if they start dropping too that could be a serious indicator. I hope your 11 stay put. Good job thus far.
    The Danios are doing just fine but I did lose a few more Cardinals.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You could reduce the risks by using a QT tank for the new fish and giving your current stock a little time and observation

I know using a QT tank can be a pain, but it will pay off for you in the long term
    I was not worried about QT on the danios as I know that they were healthy and living in the exact same water params. I really wanted to confirm my verify that there was nothing wrong in the tank itself. As I suspected I have not have any issues with the danios at all except for the one that seems to like jumping into the overflow (same fish everytime... odd).

I did a 30% WC yesterday because there was quite a bit of tannins in the water from the wood along with diatoms on the plants. So far everything is still looking stable. the current stock is 6 danios and the 8 remaining cardinals. I will give it another week with this stock then maybe look at a school of serpae tetras. Those of which will see the QT tank. A bakers dozen in a 10g should be ok for a week or two.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Me too on cardinals, seems every time you walk by another would croak.

Best of luck.

Jeff