· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Where's my jimmy buffet - margaritaville? Steelers letting me down...
    I thought you would prefer this one:

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Makin me smile my friend!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    damn it guys, we missed our Friday drink special, oh well, Saturday's good as any day ;)

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Well I haven't updated this one in a while either so I'll give a brief rundown of whats been happening.
    In late June I decided to get back in the Discus game, I picked up 2 brown snakeskin discus from a local supplier and they were around 4 inches then.
    Mid July I picked up 3 Tony Tan Discus from a local importer, 1 Blue Diamond, 1 Altum Flora and 1 Galaxy Turquoise. Start of August I picked up 3 more Blue Diamonds and 1 Red Turquoise.

I made the major mistake of not QT the last 4, mainly because I had no tanks to QT them in and they were from the same batch as the original brown snakeskins. Well a couple days passed and everything seemed to be going perfectly, like I dodged the bullet. Not so lucky as a matter of fact.

One night after I was doing my daily water changes ( 50 - 70% daily) I noticed the Red Turquoise all alone in the corner, I attributed this due to the stress of the water change and thought it would clear up by the next day. When I was feeding the following morning I realized the Turq was still by herself and the stress bars were fairly prominent. Upon further observation I saw all 3 of the new Blue Diamonds were showing signs of fin rot.

I won't lie to you, my heart sunk. To make the rest of the story short, I started a treatment right away and as many of you know, with medication Discus can go both ways. The larger of the brown snakeskin's began showing signs of swim bladder disease, I'm talking about a 5inch plus fish swimming on its side like a pancake. I lowered the water level to 1/4 of its original height (to reduce the pressure on the water bladder) and did a water change while putting carbon in the filter to remove the remnants of the medication.

Unfortunately the following morning things got even worse, the first brown snakeskin was laying completely on the bottom glass, two of the three blue diamonds were swimming head down and the other big snakeskin was floating. During this time the three tony tan discus seemed completely unaffected by what was transpiring in the tank and weren't showing any signs of fin rot or swim bladder disease.

I made the extremely hard decision to cull the 4 affected Discus after another day of lowering the water level and adding aquarium salt. Thankfully the five I have left seem to be okay for now and the fin rot looks to be healing already on the remaining blue diamond (1 out of the 3).

Here are some pics.

Brown Snakeskin #1 (deceased)

Brown Snakeskin #2 (deceased)

Tony Tan Blue Diamond

2 Brown Snakeskin, 1 Blue Diamond, 1 Altum Flora & 1 Galaxy Turquoise

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Man mojo - sorry to hear about htat. Idk how far it is back but I had some issues almost killing my entire fish room and lost my male breeding discus penang eruption... I am so sorry to hear you went through something relative.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah man sorry to hear about yours too. It's really hard when you see a $100+ fish just suffering after you knew they were doing so well.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Mojo, so so sorry to hear about the discus....I know how you feel though I lost 3 because I wasn't prepared for the issues caused by stress from other pairs spawning. Once I realized I had a problem I separated them and treated but continued failing and I had to make the choice to euthanize and one died during the night. It was horrible.

QT is something I would never skip but you know it's like playing Russian roulette and eventually your gonna lose. I wish very much you didn't have to go through that :(

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Judi, I'm sorry you lost 3 I know you have really amazing discus from Kenny.

On a lighter note, I wish I could get some of the spawn from your pairs :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    She wont breed them!!!! ITS A SIN! I told her I would buy every batch from her lol.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lol Sandz, a local fish farm has a huge brown snakeskin for sale right now, if I convert it to US he's asking $125, its probably around 8 inches, I would buy it but I'm pretty sure its not a pure snakeskin, I think if I breed it it will throw back 50% pigeon blood.

Also my pre filter came in for my Aquaclear 110 which is my primary filtration on this tank, it's a filter max III, so we'll see how effective it is but I know pre filters are highly recommended on grow out tanks.