· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad News :/

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure it is, I'll just watch my levels and keep up with gravel cleaning. I don't really mind as long as my babies are eating. Anyways I'll check hornwart out and some other plans and see what I can't add. I only have gravel but I already have root tabs and such so all I really have to do is find so low light plants I like.. Never planned to turn this tank into a planted tank but hey why not.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had excellent success with hornwort in my low-light/low-tech tank. It can be used floating or anchored in the substrate, though it grows no roots and requires no fertilizer tabs. Anacharis (aka elodea) is another fast-growing plant that doesn't need too much light and can be either floating or anchored.

Light *should* be less of an issue for floating plants, as they are right below your light source, but I have not had any of them in my aquariums, so I cannot speak from experience. It might be worth giving frogbit a try if you can find some for cheap.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I love hornwart, java fern and java moss as fast growing plants that eat nitrate. I use Hornwart in almost all of my newly established tanks for about 6mo. They provide an explosive area where bacteria can grow as well.

Im sorry to get to this post so late. It really sounds like potential constipation could be the source. The breeder you said fed nothing but live bbs. Even the best decapped bbs sometimes comes in with unhatched eggs, and caps... those can constipate a fish causing internal issues. Allso depending on the pellet food you switched them to, if they had issues switching from live to that, it could have caused the issue. I am not one to jump to the deworming method just yet... but when the fish come in for qt, you should usually deworm and deparasite all fish that are cichlids.

It really sounds like you may have a pair there with the subdom female. The boys love to show off to breed. Just keep a REALLY close eye once eggs are laid, daddy gets to be pretty angry. It would be good to add an area for female to hide in.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Its your over feeding that is doing it. I've seen hornwart recommended a lot might give that a try, read a article where the guy got some to grow well with no help in a toilet bowl.
    What happened when he flushed?
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice Sandz. I'll watch out for them. I'm not too worried about breeding now, they're still soo tiny. I'll check out hornwart. I really don't like java fern or java moss so maybe I'll get some hornwart and a couple other easy, low light plants. I don't need anything amazingly fancy but I still want my tank looking good.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss, Carapar. Apistos are awesome, but they're very fragile, especially under stress. My GBR male harassed the hell out of my Apistos and they both died within a week of each other. Caught it too late, otherwise I would have taken back the GBRs.

Anyway, as far as plants go: Water Sprite is another one that'll eat up nitrates and grows quite quickly.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm I really like water sprite... I'll look around for some and some hornwart. And thank you it was upsetting finding her, she looked so nice. She had some nice turquoise colors on her face and a bright yellow body. She was so gorgeous and active then poof. Gone.

0 Not allowed!
    No prob. They're definitely beautiful and it's interesting to see them color up while eating. Mine would turn from white to almost black, when they were competing for flakes. Awesome to see in action.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Mine luckily aren't aggressive towards one another. The male and my female seem very happy with one another c: Looking on aquabid for plants :D

0 Not allowed!
    The Apistos weren't aggressive toward each other, they just colored up to eat, because every other fish in there was an aggressive eater. They're actually quite peaceful cichlids.