· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad News :/

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about your fish. I am leaning towards the cause being aggression since you said it appeared that the male chose the other female. The stress couldhave caused the until recently dominant female to become bloated and constipated, along with possibly overfeeding in your attempts to get the subdominant female to eat. If these are tank bred by a reputable breeder, they are more likely free of parasites. If they are wild stock then a parasite is very possible. Many breeders will treat all wild fish for parasites when they first get them.

I would just keep a close eye on the remaining two and be ready to treat if necessary

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Aww Carapar I am sorry to hear about your fish. I agree with Kingfisher about the aggression and feeding. These fish came from the same breeder and have been together since you bought them, if it were a parasite, all three would be showing symptoms. I am not understanding your issue with nitrates. 10ppm is not high and if more people kept the trates that low they wouldn't have so many long term problems in their tanks.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I got the fish, captive bred, from Apistodave on aquabid. Being that he has a nice reputation I'm leaning towards aggression or maybe over feeding.. I really hope it wasn't due to my over feeding as the would make me feel even worse.. I really did all I could to make sure they were all healthy, all ate and their was no signs of aggression. And @Honey Badger 1 the problem with my nitrates being 10ppm is I just did a 90% water change 2 days ago accompanied by a very thorough gravel vacuuming. I have just enough filtration for the tank, being that you guys say filters are good for half their rating, with 10 gallons of good filtration going. So after doing a water change, with the tap water having an ammonia content of 0.25 ppm I almost always have a reading of 10 ppm of nitrates. If I don't do a water change 2 - 4 times a week I end up with around 20 - 40 ppm of nitrate by the time I'm due for a large water change on friday. Its bothersome but there's nothing I can do until I can get my eheim up and running.. Actually later tonight i'm doing a 20% water change.

I've been thinking of removing the gravel from the tank and making it bare bottom, but that'd be so much of a hassle... I think I'm going to just continue doing a gravel vacuuming every week to ensure the ammonia levels don't rise due to my over-feeding.

WELL THEN, in better news my male and female seem to be happy together and the male really starts showing off some nice turquoise colors when his girl swims by him. Hopefully I can get the rest of the supplies I need to formally set up my 20 gallon and move the apistos into their permanent home.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Alright... well, just so you know, adding filtration will not help with nitrate issues. You are correct in your thinking the filtration you have is ok for now and you do need more. Usually over stocking or bad filter/tank maintenance causes high nitrates, not being under-filtered. Especially not being under-filtered and stocked with three of the teeniest fish. I don't know what is causing the nitrates in your tanks to rise like this but I did want to clear up that bit of misinformation you got from somewhere. Keep up with the water changes until you can figure out what is causing the nitrates to rise.

I am glad to hear the other two are getting along well and coloring up for each other.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said the nitrates rise quicker than usual due to the ammonia content of my tap water. My tap usually comes out around 0.25 ppm of ammonia, sometimes even more. Even with water changes, my BB immediately turns the ammonia in the new water into nitrates. So one day after a water change I'm back to around 10 nitrates. It probably could be progressing a bit further due to my over feeding. Could my snails be an issue? I have 9 marble sized Olive Nerites in there. I know their bio load is tiny but there's 9 of them and its only a 10 gallon tank >. < Either way, added filtration will help. So i'm going to try and get my eheim up and running.

Awards Showcase

Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help &amp; points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt the snails are a big issue. The nitrates are because of the ammonia caused by the fish and from the tap, at least you know you have a good cycle. My suggestion is stock your tanks lightly and keep up those water changes. Have you considered some floating plants?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    According to this link, 1 ppm ammonia gets converted into about 3 ppm nitrate. Therefore, if your tap ater has 0.25 ppm Ammonia, only about 1ppm Nitrate at most is being caused by your tap water. 10 ppm Nitrate is, as said above, pretty harmless, and floating or fast-growing plants should help a lot, but you should be aware that there is some other source of waste in your aquarium. It doesn't sound like it's your stocking level, but you probably want to keep looking for the waste source. If you have a HOB filter with floss-and-carbon cartridge, it may be time to change the cartridge, or it might need a (gentle!) rinse in old aquarium water. More experienced folks here might have other suggestions about where to look.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Dr_Lew if you haven't given your media a good rinse in awhile give them a good rinse in old tank water next time you do a water change.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Actually I just recently changed on of the cartridges in the filter, a few weeks ago. And they've been cleaned out in the past month.. I'm leaning more towards the over-feeding I'm doing to help my apistos actually eat.. I'll continue to watch the levels. Can you recommend any floating plants?? My tank is low light only 15 watts. I'm using a t8 10K aqua-glo bulb. Temperatures in the tank are around 77*F and my water has a pH of 7.5

Only plants I can think of are frogbit and duckweed. And duckweed is really ugly and horrible and afaik frogbit needs high light.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its your over feeding that is doing it. I've seen hornwart recommended a lot might give that a try, read a article where the guy got some to grow well with no help in a toilet bowl.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty