· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad News :/

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Bad News :/

0 Not allowed!
    Well I guess things don't always go great for us in fish keeping. I woke up this morning to discover my dominant female apisto had died. The night before she was acting a bit funny, keeping her tall fin closed into a point, but I wrote it off as nothing serious as her color was still okay, her breathing was alright, she still seemed active and was swimming, and she had eaten earlier in the day...

After checking the parameters i'm at 0 ppm of Ammonia, 0 ppm of Nitrite, and about 10 ppm of Nitrate (Which is not surprising as my tap water has an ammonia content of 0.25 ppm) I wouldn't have such a huge issue with nitrates in this tank if I could get my eheim 2013 canister filter set up. But for some reason when I plug it in, it just makes noise and it doesn't seem like the motor is working.. I still have to get my dad to look at it and see if there's something wrong... I cleaned it all out and everything.. so the only thing that could be wrong is maybe a jammed part or something wasn't put back into place correctly.

Back onto topic, my other two apistos seem to be doing fine, my sub-dominant female is actually swimming around now and is looking more healthy and vibrant. I had to move all my Olive Nerite snails into the apisto tank due to the failure of my other 10 gallon, and although I lost one( I assume to high nitrate levels as I was sick and missed a water change) all the others seem fine. All 9 nerites are happy and healthy and coating my tank in eggs XD The only thing I can think of that could've killed my apisto would be maybe something internal, such as a parasite or maybe her system was blocked up.. She was seeming fatter than the other two apistos. I thought it was just because she was always first to go for the food, but not that I think about it, I never saw her poop like the other to did... Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

I don't think this makes a difference but my tank now has new lighting, the lighting from my old 10 gallon, so i've had an increase of brown algae. It's only visible inside the filters, and below the gravel line, as my snails eat it off of everything else.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If she hadn't pooped and looked fatter then I'd guess she came with a parasite. Might want to treat the tank with some light anti parasite med just in case the other two have some dormant.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your fish, I remember how much you looked forward to getting them.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    If she hadn't pooped and looked fatter then I'd guess she came with a parasite. Might want to treat the tank with some light anti parasite med just in case the other two have some dormant.
    Can you recommend a good anti-parasite med that won't harm my olive nerites? As I know some medications have copper in them. I'm leaning more towards her bowels being clogged.. If it was parasites I don't think she'd have looked as nice as she did before she passed.. Hopefully my male and the now lone female get along well. I only originally wanted a pair but the two females gave my male a bit of options when it came to choosing a mate for the future.. Hopefully the female that made it is the one he liked better.

Just a thought but could one of my other apistos be responsible for my female's death? I didn't really think about it as something probable as I've read online that at their age my apistos would be fine in their little group in a 10 gallon. But after some thought my female was looking very bright and happy, then suddenly the sub-dominant female is swimming around and showing off and the other female(the one that died) is hiding and has closed fins... Do you think something could've happened between them in the form of a shift in power? O.o
    Last edited by Gesp56; 04-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would try prazi pro. it's very mild and I've used it in my tank with snails.
    Do go on line though and read all the specs on it.
    Metro+ would be another good one to look into as it is also an antibiotic.
    Sorry about your fish :o(
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Regarding your eheim, are you priming it correctly before switching it on? Sounds to me like it's running dry.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, I have indeed primed it. You do mean fill it with water, correct? I put a hose on the intake, and let water go through the filter until its coming out the outake, put the intake in the tank with the hose still blowing into it, then I turn it on, take off the hose and BOOM it just doesn't start taking in water on its own.. I've had the filter for 6 years now and that's the method I've ALWAYS used to restart the filter up, and its always worked.

And thank you for the recommendation fishmommie, I'll be sure to check those brands out. I just want to be sure there's an issue before I medicate. If my two remaining apistos become more lethargic or stop eating I'll medicate immediately. I just don't want to stress them out with medications unless there's a real issue.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 04-21-2013 at 08:58 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...no that sounds like it should work. Sorry...was only asking as the Classics don't come with instructions and it's not alway immediately obvious how to prime it. Perhaps a new impeller is in order.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm maybe, and yeah no, no instructions XD I got it from a teacher along with a turtle and tank, 6 years ago so I didn't get a box or anything. Just had to figure it out best I could. I'll have my dad look at it, if anythings broken I'll purchase it and get the filter set up soon.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to fishmommie in regard to the PraziPro if you think it may be a parasite. I'm so sorry that you lost one of the apistos, you did everything you could to acclimate them properly.