· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank should not be going through a constant cycling. And if you have ammonia, then it's not cycled. Are you cleaning to filter media all the time or cleaning it under tap water? If so, don't do that. That kills (or removes) the bacteria that eats the ammonia.

Not sure what kind of algae you're talking about since there are many kinds. Your gravel looks a little green to me unless it's the camera making it look that way. But if you are having a problem with green, slimy algae, then that's cyno algae that is caused from bacteria. There's "stickie" in the algae forum with photo's of different algaes. See if you can find it there among those photos. Different algaes require different treatments to get rid of it.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Your tank should not be going through a constant cycling. And if you have ammonia, then it's not cycled. Are you cleaning to filter media all the time or cleaning it under tap water? If so, don't do that. That kills (or removes) the bacteria that eats the ammonia.

Not sure what kind of algae you're talking about since there are many kinds. Your gravel looks a little green to me unless it's the camera making it look that way. But if you are having a problem with green, slimy algae, then that's cyno algae that is caused from bacteria. There's "stickie" in the algae forum with photo's of different algaes. See if you can find it there among those photos. Different algaes require different treatments to get rid of it.
    Would you mind giving me the link to it if you can, I can't find it. Thanks for the help!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishywishy333 View Post
    Sorry

Let's try again.

Create a 90 minute lights siesta.

Your plants look like the one on the right isn't even planted but still has the rockwool on. What's under the gravel?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What's a light siesta?
    Don't worry, the one on the right is definitely planted, it has the wool off
    There is nothing under the gravel... I was thinking about that...

Thanks for forgiving me!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You might try more plants and a shorter photoperiod (my planted tanks have lights on for only 7 hrs/day). Fertilizer for the plants may help too...you want the plants to out-compete the algae.

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to shorter photoperiod.

More plants is what TD was referring to earlier and a light siesta is simply interrupting your photo period.

This is simply setting your timer to turn your lights off for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.

It helps because plants are able to ramp up their photosynthesis quicker than the algae so it effectively gives the plants a head start at getting at the nutrients that are feeding the algae.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishywishy333 View Post
    Would you mind giving me the link to it if you can, I can't find it. Thanks for the help!
    Here's that link.
    http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_...ater_algae.php
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    2 blocks of light of say 4 hours each for starters with a 2 hour break in the middle. Also start dosing a general fertilizer like seachem flourish and possibly flourish excel as well. That should help the plants outcompete the algae.

0 Not allowed!
    Are those real plants? They look like plastic.

0 Not allowed!
    The ones on the left and right are real, the center one right could be real, the red plants I have severe doubts.