· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default Longshots 150 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I finally filled my new tank, there is a lot more to do before it is complete, but I figured I would cycle it while the rest of the work was being done. I will start with a few pictures and a little info about it, and I will update as I make progress towards moving my fish from their current 55 to this new home.

Older used 150 gallon glass aquarium
    DIY pine stand and canopy
    3x 300 watt heaters
    36" Coralife t5ho fixture with 2x 6500K bulbs (mounted in top of canopy as opposed to sitting on the tank top. this lights the inside of the canopy so I can see what I'm doing.)
    2x 792 GPH pumps
    building DIY canister from 8 gallon drum (will be running a Jebo canister in the meantime to cycle)
    20 gallon tall inside canopy to house heaters
    artificial plants
    slate pieces for cave, driftwood, and gravel
    4 outlet petco air pump

The plan is to install bulkheads into the 20 gallon and plumb into the canister return. The water will re enter the display via 1 1/2" PVC standpipe. I am currently debating trying to plant some Java moss and Java ferns in the 20g which is located next to my light fixture. This will be a first attempt at live plants, might as well try it out in here, should help reduce some nitrates while gaining experience. If this goes well I will begin to live plant the display with low light plants. A few of my friends think that I have gone off the deep end because of this Overhead idea instead of just running a wet/dry underneath- but they obviously haven't figured out that I am a weirdo and don't usually stick to convention, lol. I am awaiting the arrival of the diamond hole saw I ordered, then I will be able to install the bulkhead fittings.
    I need to buy a few more artificial plants to hide my 2 submersibles behind the driftwood, I decided to put them inside the tank because they are near silent under all that water, so far the only noise I hear is from the air pump.

pumps behind wood
    sorry for the poor quality images.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks great but I would go for live plants. They look a lot better and there are many that you can grow very easy.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good, +1 to the live plants.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank's off to a great start, I look forward to seeing how you stock it.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    10 times tank volume/hour is a lot. Combined with the air bubbly things.. I'd advice you to go for very robust plants.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    for the past few days I have been mulling over the idea of transitioning to live plants in the display, I can't afford better lighting right now so I was strongly considering planting the 20 gallon, in the canopy, with a mat of java fern, java moss and maybe some anubias. I would have to find a way to diffuse the return water so that it doesn't turn them into salad. I have ZERO experience with plants of any kind, but I'm not afraid to try it out. Maybe if I bring the return from the filter into the center top 1/3, end cap the feed and drill holes in the pipe down two sides, it might divert the water by creating a spraybar effect and reduce the concentration of force? But all that aside, my light (2 bulbs x 6700K @ 39w ea.) are right next to the heater tank, it should be enough for low light plants, or am I mistaken? I would like to do a trial on a smaller scale instead of going for broke right off, without prior knowledge. I wish I could devise a way to keep the water calm enough to put some sort of critters in there with the plants. would like kind of cool- but 1 step at a time here, lol. If I were to go with a planted tank ( and I agree wholeheartedly that it would look incredible), what would you guys suggest for live plants and lighting? I am totally game for live planting but I don't want to screw it all up and waste what little money I have to save up. BTW, the return to the display will be via a 1.5 inch gravity feed so it should be pretty docile.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    And this danged water is turning yellow from the wood, already. just hooked up a DYI reactor full of carbon housed in a 55 gallon drum, don't know if it will help with the color but gonna try it out.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    well if you get the current down enough to not salad up all your plants then we can certainly help you with lighting. since you have a canopy allready, maybe working with some spiral CFL and clamp lights would help you. if not then look into t5ho fixtures. 150g are high tanks so you would need to stay with some of the high powered lights. if you did like 8 clamp lights with 23w bulbs in them (6500K) im sure that would give you at least medium light in the tank. but i dont have experience with deep tanks yet so i dont know for sure.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like where you're going with the 20G idea, it has the potential to be a good Refugium IMO, if one of the filter returns are plumbed through it.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, when I have a moment I will make a drawing of what I have planned for filtration and I will post it. Would be curious for input.