· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm interested in this topic as well, and am very curious. How does one sex an immature gourami, jaysee?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 3 female pearl gouramis in my 75 gallon tank. They push each other around sometimes, but the squabbling isn't bad enough to prevent any of them from eating or result in any damage.

When I went shopping for them, I was planning on a male and two females. I didn't feel confidant in my ability to sex them so I got one of the employees to help me. We picked out three that all appeared female (there were none in the tank that were definitely male), but the employee said it was possible that one or more of them were males that hadn't developed the sex characteristics yet. I was prepared to return one or two of them if needed but it worked out okay.
    Last edited by Brhino; 04-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    At what age? Did I miss something? I've never not been able to sex them, and I've bought some small ones. I've never seen them for sale so small that they were unsexable.
    I sure couldn't tell by the size of them at my store. But then, I never knew what sex my Moonlight gourami was either. No expert with those fish, for sure. Thanks jaysee.

Default Good gourami to keep with pearl gourami?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_lew View Post
    I'm interested in this topic as well, and am very curious. How does one sex an immature gourami, jaysee?
    "Immature" is relative. The difference in dorsal fins is apparent at a young age, and the beginnings of the anal filaments can also be seen (may not see filaments, but it won't look as clean and rounded as a female - it's more squared off). The body shapes are also slightly different - males are longer and sleeker looking while females have a more rounded body. They are sexable between 2-2.5 inches - I've never seen them for sale smaller than that.
    Last edited by jaysee; 04-23-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    They won't be easy to sex at this age, I'm afraid. Why didn't your angel get along with the gourami?
    Funny you might ask. I did all I could to maximize compatibility chance.
    1. Got them at about the same size
    2. Water was clean, tank was planted.
    3. Releases them at the same time

Didn't work. I was told that the angel used to be in an aggressive community since it was returned and its a pretty rare type I was told. It was only $15, and for its color, it was WORTH IT. It has some blue spots on the top fin, and from an angle on one of its other fins, it has a beautiful blue shine. It has a good color variety and has a very natural look. When I moved it to my 6x8 tropical pond, it did perfect and is now. I have 1 gold, 1 blue, 1 dwarf red, 1 honey, and 1 large black gourami(don't know the name) and there is NO aggression period. I guess there wasn't enough room for its comfort, even though its 55 gallons compared to around 200 gallons.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    "Immature" is relative. The difference in dorsal fins is apparent at a young age, and the beginnings of the anal filaments can also be seen (may not see filaments, but it won't look as clean and rounded as a female - it's more squared off). The body shapes are also slightly different - males are longer and sleeker looking while females have a more rounded body. They are sexable between 2-2.5 inches - I've never seen them for sale smaller than that.
    Should I just stick with one if this is a big risk? I could up my rainbowfish numbers instead.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    Should I just stick with one if this is a big risk? I could up my rainbowfish numbers instead.
    In my opinion, they should not be kept singly - in my experience, they are a group oriented fish. I'm not sure I know what risk to which you are referring.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agh, didn't mean to say risk. I was meaning if it would be a big difficulty. I'm pretty sure mine is female because I never see any aggression involving the pearl. Would it be best to just get a female because I don't want any breeding unless its the zebra loaches.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, you can keep all females. You can't tell the sex based on their level of "aggression".

I haven't seen my zebra loaches spawn yet, but I have had my angelicus loaches spawn. And the kuhlis too.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. Will get one when I see one.