· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Default Blue Scorpion breeding pair at Imperial Tropicals

3 Not allowed!
    So these gorgeous fish were reported to be breeding in the past but stopped likely to not keeping up with there some what demanding water quality I've had three spawns so far however they ate the eggs withing a day or two :(

Just going to next try a possible cover on the front after eggs are laid that might keep them calmer hopefully

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    They're beauties, that's for sure
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice pair. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    So this thread post was back in January I've had at least 4-5 spawns from them since but same story always ate eggs. I tried pretty much everything from a cone guard thing to keep from eating the eggs to covering 75-80% of the tank...

I really didn't use tannin tea in the tank since I perform daily 50% water changes (thanks to @discuspaul for all the helpful advice) I didn't think it would effect things much at first I was using water that was around 90ppm TDS

So I changed it up started using TDS of 50 or less to get kH fairly low and adding a quart of tannin tea after every water change.

So this video is literally the first spawn after adding the tannins and dropping params...

TANNINS FOR THE WIN,,,,,,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sweet, congrats Joe...so how did you lower the TDS?...by the use of tannins?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    TANNINS FOR THE WIN,,,,,,
    So where does Imperial get the botanicals from? Is it just local stuff?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    RO water I have a I think 400 gallon "container" lol I fill up everyday and mix like a chemist in a lab :P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    So where does Imperial get the botanicals from? Is it just local stuff?
    Imperial get's their leaves straight off the ground...gotta love Florida...lots of oak!

So at least a few times a week im out there collecting leaves and getting paaaaaaid haha but you all know damn well I'd do it and have done it for free..just a surreal feeling when It's my "job"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    My tannins come from a devided tank I use one side full of oak leaves and twigs with an air stone going I use the "tea tank" "Joe's home brew" "The Tannin Cauldron" what have you for a variety of things. Like feeding fry(looooots of infusoria and moina) and of course adding tannins and lowering pH from the acids they release.

I did strain the water through a brine shrimp net for the discus since I want nice clean water (free of suspended organics and solids n such)
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 02-17-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Imperial get's their leaves straight off the ground...gotta love Florida...lots of oak!
    Yeah, that's what I thought....but when do the oaks down there lose their leaves....it's gotta be just like up here in the Northern areas of the Country...you must have access to areas that don't see a lot of foot traffic or other pollutants?