· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Breeding Discus

Default Breeding Discus

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 17 discus in a 100 gal tank and a pair has formed. The female layed eggs recently and obviously they were eaten.
    I am planning on buying a smaller tank to isolate the pair and hopefully be able to raise the babies.

I am reading everything i can about raising Discus but what would be most helpful to me would be to have someone with experience discuss the subject with me.

I have numerous questions like what tank size should i buy to raise them, is my tap water soft enough (hardness of 100ppm), how long do i let the parents with the babies and what is best to feed the new born ?

In hope of finding someone with experience...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discus lover View Post
    I currently have 17 discus in a 100 gal tank and a pair has formed. The female layed eggs recently and obviously they were eaten.
    I am planning on buying a smaller tank to isolate the pair and hopefully be able to raise the babies.

I am reading everything i can about raising Discus but what would be most helpful to me would be to have someone with experience discuss the subject with me.

I have numerous questions like what tank size should i buy to raise them, is my tap water soft enough (hardness of 100ppm), how long do i let the parents with the babies and what is best to feed the new born ?

In hope of finding someone with experience...
    I have bred discus a number of times years ago, but I'm not up-to-date with the more successful current methods & practices, and I wouldn't want to lead you astray.

My best advice to you is to become a member of simplydiscus.com forum (where I'm a moderator), have a read through the posts in their discus breeding section, and ask your questions there. I'm sure you'll get the proper help from the breeding experts there.

Meantime, the first thing you need to establish is whether or not you have a male & a female - it's not uncommon for 2 females to get together & lay eggs which of course never hatch - so you let your discus carry-on with their activities in the main tank until you actually get proof of fertilized eggs and subsequent 'wigglers'.
    Most breeders isolate their pairs in 20 gal tanks, where they spawn, & then raise the young therein for 2-3 weeks, after which time the parents are removed, and the young are then generally fed baby brine shrimp until they're able to take larger foods.
    As they grow, the young are moved to a progressively larger bare-bottom tank, to suit their growth over the first few months, until they're sold, or moved to a larger permanent tank to accommodate their juvenile/near adult size.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-02-2015 at 04:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Paul for your answer, this is going to help me start. I'll go take a look at simplydiscus.com