· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

Default Beginner's Guide To Getting Started With Discus

5 Not allowed!
    Hello all,
    discuspaul contacted me via PM to help with submitting the following:

“Greetings all,
    I've been an SD member for about a year and love the forums. I'm retired, living in Vancouver, B.C., and have been fish-keeping on and off, both fresh and saltwater, for over 50 years - since I was a young teen. At one time I maintained about 15 freshwater tanks and bred several varieties of egg-layers - tetras, danios, barbs, bettas, angels, etc., and recall the days when LFS's would only give me a nickel or a dime for 3 month old fry! My, times have changed, particularly since I got back into discus-keeping about a year ago after a long lay-off, only to find that discus prices had risen to their current unreal stratosphere. However, I for one don't mind - I just love these fish!

Which brings me to my reason for posting this. I found over the past few months going through the thread posts and stickies, that there didn't seem, in my view anyway, to be one single place for beginners to get a reasonably comprehensive, start to finish guide for launching themselves into discus-keeping.

So I decided to write a modest illustrated booklet to hopefully fulfil that purpose, called "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus." In doing this, I received a tremendous amount of help from a few other SD members, notably Martha Morris who edited the Guide; Keith Perkins, Pat Husband, and Al Sabetta of course. Many thanks to them. I sincerely hope this will be of benefit to those wanting to have handy, and use, some form of step by step guidance to getting started with the very enjoyable pastime of keeping this beautiful fish.
    Paul”

Slap here again...I've decided to attach Paul's guide in PDF format to include the pertinent illustrations, see below...please let me know if it works for everyone here

Thanks very much for the contribution Paul!...well worth being a stickied thread, IMO

Discus.pdf
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

7 Not allowed!
    Many thanks for posting the Guide, Matt.

This article was inspired by my strong desire to help any interested discus-keeper 'wannabees' avoid the pitfalls of losing these expensive fish through a lack of knowledge as to how to keep them successfully.

I considered this guide as the 'full, detailed version' of the other discus post I wrote entitled the '6 Cardinal Rules for discus Newbies to follow', which some of you may have read here.

If any of you have any questions on matters within the guide, or other discus questions, I'll be happy to try & answer them to your satisfaction.

Best regards all - & happy discus-keeping,
    Paul

P.S. When reading my introductory remarks, please keep in mind that I wrote the Guide, and that particular introduction, in 2011 - to give you an idea of the timeline.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 02-18-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you discuspaul and Slaphppy7 for putting out this thorough article. I believe many discus keepers will benefit from it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Aww PDF link is broken... At least through tap a talk for me. Anyone else?