· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: DIY frozen food

Hybrid View

1. Default DIY frozen food

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm looking to make some DIY frozen food for my fish, currently I am just feeding them hikari algae wafers and flakes, and I want some variety and health. I have ottos, ember tetras, bolivian ram, glowlight and black neon tetras. I also have shrimp, but they are not important. I was thinking something herbivorous with maybe a little bit of meat. Could someone suggest what has worked for them in the past with fish like these, or point em in the right direction? I've done a little research, but it is easier just to make a thread and ask
    I also don't want to be overloaded with bags full of this stuff, so if it all can fit into a normal size blender that would be convenient
    Thanks!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    could combine spinach, krill, centrum multivitamin, vitamin E and gelatin to glue it all together.. blend it, freeze it.. You could also accomplish the same by offerening fresh veggies on a chip clip in the tank.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

I have also read that a lot of discus owners make their own fish food (both flake and froozen)

You could try googling that to see what info is out there that might help or might be a good fit for your fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    There is a really good post out there from a betta breeder on youtube... I will have to find it. Its a beefheart recipe, but if you were to add spinach and less beef heart, it would be excellent.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sandz! I liike that recipe. How do u determine proportions of each ingredient, is it basically a trial and experience thing?? And how does the process go on freezing them?

ps-If you can find the post/vid, I'll check it out :)
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 04-20-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I still havnt found it... its in a search on youtube the is titles "How To Breed Betta Fish" and its a 9 part series.

As far as portions, you want to be able to balance. Generally you want to be able to get it liquified down to pulp. You then take 3 teaspoons and put them in a baggie, smooth it out and freeze flat. A whole beef heart lastme 2 months with 2x daily feedings. I am still going to look for the video but have been swamped!

0 Not allowed!
    I chopped up fresh spinach, fresh shrimp, and whatever else I wanted to use in a blender. Mix it with about 3 envelopes of clear gelatin (without the additional water added) and mixed it all together. Once it sets up in the refrigerator you can cut it into small cubes and put in zip lock bags for the freezer.

Some are now pouring the mixture into zip lock bags and just breaking a chunk off when they need it. Sounds easier to me and I may try that method next time. There's a lot of things you can use in your recipe. Some are even using chunky baby foods like the pea's, carrots, etc. Your imagination is the limit. The biggest thing is not to use too much water in the gelatin so it will set up solid.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! LH, I have seen some of your older posts about your own fish food, and that helped inspire me somewhat. Sandz, I'll keep looking for that video. I'll probably post updates on how the food turns out when I get the time to make it. Thanks again, this helped.
    Journals Here