· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much light.

0 Not allowed!
    watts per gallon really is not all that usefull of a rule of thumb for a reef tank

how high is the tank and what type of corals are you plaaning to have ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the tank is 36cm high and I would like to try some mushroom coral and some button polyps mostly the easier corals first.

0 Not allowed!
    That T5HO light would be fine then.

I would suggest a little higher K rating for your bulb, closer to 18000k if you can. You don't want too much warm color tones if that will be your only white bulb in combination with a actinc bulb. You can rase it about your tank around 4 inches to start with to see how will it works. Mushrooms and polyps can be tolerant (and grow) in moderate light conditions.

Good plan by starting off with easier corals. Smaller tanks can certainly be a challenge at times to keep your water parameters stable.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so just one of those lights its 2x 8w globes. or should I buy two reflectors that will be 4x 8w globes.

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post a pic or a link to the type of fixture you are talking about ? I'm not to sure I understand what you are asking or if you have a 2 two bulb or 4 bulb T5 fixture

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok so I want to buy one light fixture the fixture has 2 globes. I would like to know if I should buy two fixtures

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, OK, now I understand

It would start with one 2 bulb fixture. I would not think you would need more light than that.

You could always get a second one latter on should you need it

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you soo much cliff your a legend I appreciate your help

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can't adjust the color temp, only the intensity
    That's actually not true of certain fixtures. The Innovative Marine LED bars, and the Kessil 350's can both be adjusted for color temp. To accomplish the adjustment you simply adjust the dials for the white or blue LEDs. This technically holds true for most fixtures. You control the overall color temperature produced by changing the intensity of the blues or whites. To go more towards the 20000K look, you simply adjust the blues up and the whites down. So, on a fixtures where you have a blues that are 22000K and whites that are 10000K, if you turn the whites all the way off, your result will be a 22000K color temp, and if you turn the blues all the way off the result will be 10000K. By simply playing with the intensity dial or controller, you can hit all the color temps in between 10000K and 22000K. Now, if the blues and whites are both on the same channel, you can't change the color temp.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the clearifaction Goldbarb

I really did not word that post very well at all. I really was making referance to the fixture the OP was talking about. You can (to some extent) acheive that with any LED that allows you to control the white and blue LEDs independant from each other, asuming you have the correct combination of white and blue LEDs. That was a part of my recommendation for the OP getting a good quality LED with a controller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast