· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much light.

1. Default how much light.

0 Not allowed!
    hi guys I am setting up a 9gallon nano. I have a 120w LED available for me I was just wondering is that overkill for this size or will it be ok if I hang it high above the tank? thanks for any advice
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

0 Not allowed!
    Does the light fixture even fit over the 9 gallon? If it does, you will have over 13 watts per gallon. Even high tech planted tanks don't exceed 5 watts per gallon. I think that your tank will turn into an algae farm. Hanging it high above the tank is possible and will reduce intensity but isn't really practical or aesthetic. It also will illuminate a wide area around the tank and make the inside of the tank harder to view.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah! +1 to that.

0 Not allowed!
    That would depend on the the brand and wattage of the LEDs, the color temp, if the fixture has a controller to adjust the intensity, and the type of corals that you want

I had a little over 140 watts of good quality LEDs on a 90 reef tank with some SPS and a carpet anemone. I ran them at about 75%, had them sitting about 10 inches above the tank, and my anemone did pretty good and grew a lot. The SPS did good as well

A reef fixture with good quality lenses will greatly limit the amount of light the spills out around the tank and have it a little more focused down into the tank as compaired to LEDs with poor quality or no lenses.

I would need a little more info before I could offer any opinions here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok here are the specs 55x 3w 4600 Lm and 120degree defult lens
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

0 Not allowed!
    Does it have a controller that allows you to adjust the intensity ?

Do you know what brand it is ?

Unless I am mistaken, if you have around 4600 Lm of lighting that will most likely give you a pretty warm color temp, in the range of 5000K I think. If that is the case, that would be the wrong color temp for a reef style tank. The warmer cool temps really to promote marine algae a lot more than color temps 12000k and higher.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it does have a dimmer. It is a chinese brand and im not sure. what lumens do you suggest and what light intensity between 10000k and 12000k?

0 Not allowed!
    You can't adjust the color temp, only the intensity

I would suggest looking for a different LED fixture. One that will have a combination of white LEDs around 10,000 to 12000K, blue (or super blue) around 22,000k, and royal blue (actinic) as well. Something with Cree or apollo LEDs and a combination of lenses with 40 and 70 degrees. Also a controller.

I would not suggest using that LED you have posted about. It would create more problems then it would solve.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks cliff I will keep looking I might go away from LED and stick to T5

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can get a twin 8w t5 he with a blue actinic and a white will that be enough or should I get two to keep with the roughly 4 watts per gallon rule?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast