· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bio balls in aquarium sump and Protein Skimmers

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,, I was wondering If you have a FISH only marine aquarium with no reef life only fish,, would you use bio balls as part of your filtration system? I think,,, I read where the use of bio balls can cause you to keep a high Nitrate level in your tank... I wanted to know If that's true??? My second question is,, If you keep a low salt level in your aquarium (because It's a fish only tank) and you keep the salinity at about 1.019 would you still need to use a Protein Skimmer?? Also can a Skimmer still work with a low salinity level?? Any advise would be so greatly appreciated!!
    Geno

0 Not allowed!
    I would not under estimate the importance of maintaining their salinity at or near 1.026, which is the average specific gravity of the ocean at the temperature and depth were we find almost all of the fish that we keep in the hobby. The lower your salinity is from 1.026, the more you will risk having challenges maintaining other aspects of water parameters. I always prefer my salinity to be between 1.025 and 1.026. That is the level the fish we keep in the hobby will do best in long term. Salinity at 1.019 is starting to get closer to brackish waters than marine waters. That might effect a protein skimmer, but I'm not to sure as I have never kept my salinity that low

As for the filtration, if you are using enough live rock, you don't need any other type of biological filteration. IMO, other forums of bioloical filteration (like bio balls) will require extra cleaning and routine maintenance (as compaired to live rock) or they will add extra nitrates. And the fish that we keep in the hobby do best in very low levels of nitrate.

The below links will provide you with some more detailed information should you want more info.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/the...er-parameters/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    agreed. using bioballs in a sw setup is unnecessary with the proper amount of LR. sw sumps are configured/used differently than fw sumps.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, keeping a salinity of 1.019 is not really that terrible for your fish. Many stores actually keep their fish systems at a low salinity (ie. 1.020) simply because many parasites do not do well at that low of a salinity. Most people I know who run FOWLR tanks don't keep their salinity at 1.019, but they do keep it around 1.021-1.023. The practice is far more common than you might expect. As for the protein skimmer, the lower salt level will have an effect on it, but it will not be significant. Usually, you just have to raise the water level in the cone or open your air valve (depending on what skimmer you have) for the skimmer to run properly. While most
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys!! Thanks so very much for the information and advice on these two subjects!! I truly appreciate it!! Also thanks for giving me some links to go to and check out! Out of all the different Aquarium sites where you can ask questions, I must admit I like this site, Aquatic community the best!! Thanks again everyone!!
    Geno

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bioballs will convert ammonia ---> nitrites -----> nitrates However, they can not convert nitrates to nitrogen which is where the live rock comes in handy. Depending on how big of a setup you plan to run will determine the filtration setup you need.

I know a few shark/ray people on another forum who have no live rock and massive SW ponds with perfect values.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what is a live rock ?

0 Not allowed!
    Live rock is from the ocean. It is made of the calcified skeletons of dead corals and is covered in marine algaes and beneficial bacteria. In a marine aquarium, it serves the same purpose as fully seeded and cycled biological filter media does in a freshwater filter.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very interesting .Thanks.Looks like I got the fish bug .