· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cheap Black Sand help

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone now of cheap black sand. Also it has to be smooth as I have Firemouth cichlids who like to sift through the sand and a L200 pleco. All I have seen is iron slag and other large grain rough sand, which as far as I know would not be good for the before mentioned fish. Also if you now of any how much is it?

Arrow The search feature is your friend :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen a few things about Black Diamond blasting sand. Has anyone used it before, how fine is it, is it rough or smooth? Plus it is $8 for 50lbs.

0 Not allowed!
    I use the finer grit blasting sand in my tank. Its not completely black though. I've had no problems with it.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are the grains smooth little balls or rough jagged pieces?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    used the medium grit one most commonly found, it seems to be a bit bigger than aquarium grade sands but it was fine anyways. mine was black black. if you are using it with fire mouths make sure you sift through it. its been known to have metal shards and stuff in it. that wouldnt be good for it... besides that i wouldnt worry
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    There is no 'medium', It's a numbered system. & I have over 400lbs of it in my tanks & have never found anything even remotely like that. [Or heard of anyone else finding metal shards in this particular sand blasting media].

What size did you get Gen because mine is nowhere nearly 'larger grained' than LFS sand.
    I used the 30/60 grade IIRC & It's quite fine.?

Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    Has anyone used it before,
    Really? ... Did you not actually read the THIRD post of the second link above?

The one where I posted a picture & it says.. And I quote:
    I have a Black diamond in a couple of tanks - Here is the one referred to so kindly above:

Attachment 28307
    Deets: 55G - 108w 65/10k T5 lighting liquid and root tabs ferts No CO2.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i dont remember the grit sized i used, but i remember the bag having 3 different sizes and it was the middle one, thats why i said medium grit. the metal shards i threw in there because i have heard of 4 different people finding metal like shards in their sand and i have personally found needle like pieces of "stuff" not sure what it was but it wasnt the same sand...

btw i used 50 pounds of it in a 55g, 10ish pounds in my old shrimp tank, and plan to use more of it in my 29 when its set back up and a few other tanks i need cheaper sand for...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    There is no 'medium', It's a numbered system. & I have over 400lbs of it in my tanks & have never found anything even remotely like that. [Or heard of anyone else finding metal shards in this particular sand blasting media].

Really? ... Did you not actually read the THIRD post of the second link above?
    Lol! It's good to have you back with us.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know what you had.. But it was not Black Diamond, It comes in five sizes.

DSCN0045.jpg

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Lol! It's good to have you back with us.
    .. That... Depends on your perspective