· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Red earth worms??

0 Not allowed!
    Since purchasing Robbie, I have found that he will not eat anything but "live" food. I am about out of feeder male guppies. Had to cut them up in small pieces, but he loved them. I found a small red earth worm the other day. Put it in a baggie and froze it. I can cut off tiny pieces and feed him 2-3 a day. Of course, he loves them to. Am I doing wrong?? So far he seems to be thriving nicely and comes to the top when I feed him. I use the term "he" loosely though. Robbie may turn out to be a Rachel. Not sure yet. Still a very pretty Betta.

Anyone else use red earth worms for food. I will pick up some different kinds of frozen food if I can ever get to the lfs. It's 60 miles one way and I don't drive anymore.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I used to feed certain fish I had earth worms without any negative results.
    Keep searching for other foods for Robbie as variety is important.
    I love hamburgers but I couldn't eat them for every meal.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could eat spagettie every meal. I know he needs a variety, but what. Still can't get to the LFS. Wonder about boiled chicken?? Or maybe a piece of boiled beef? Guess I am going to have to order something from online. If I ever get to walmart even, I will check out their dried foods, Maybe if I soak them first, he will accept them.

Thanks for the response too. Appreciate it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms? even though they are dead, my betta stalks them then attacks as though they are alive. maybe you could shave little bits off the frozen cube if you don't have other fish that would eat the rest of the cube.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    terrestrial meats should not be given to fish(at least not on a regular basis). fish should be fed fish meats or invertebrates.
    even going out into the yard(depends on season/weather) and catching bugs still is better than feeding beef or chicken.
    in fact, bugs that have fallen into the water are what bettas feed on in the wild.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I can ever get to a lfs, I will definitely buy frozen foods for him. Unfortunately, it is 60 miles one way. Hubby is disinclined to drive that way for frozen fish food. I am sure the guppies will devour any and all frozen shrimp. I may try freeze dried tubiflex worms, soaking them first. Since my snail population is finally growing, I think I will try one crushed and rinsed to see if he likes that. Don't have many of any size, but will see what I can find.

Finally ordered some plants. Put 3 different kinds in his tank. Forget the name of two of them, but the third is a Java fern. Will have to keep it trimmed some, but think it will be fine.

appreciate the reply. Did you see my post where he may be a she??? That's ok. He/she is very pretty.

7. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate the heads up on nonfish food for Robbie. Kind of getting attached to him/her and sure don't want to do something to hurt him/her.

You are right about the bugs too. I am leary of feeding him/her just any kind of bug. I know I could set up a bucket of water for mosquito larva. Might get some interesting bugs in it too. Wish I could find an ant bed. I could freeze the eggs and dole them out to him/her as a treat. Still to cold here for them to be plentiful, but I can find them in abundance in about a month.

Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate any and all information.
    Last edited by Vreugy; 04-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    As long as he is always given the live foods, he will only eat that. Let him get hungry so he will start eating food that has the right vitamins and nutrients for him. Too much meaty foods are not good for them, either. Fish can go for quite some time without food.