· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Oscars

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to mizz

Any suggestions for oscar tankmates in a 50 or 75 gallon tank?]
    The quoted question was answered three times already, Lets recap:

Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    75 is the bare-scraping by minimum for 1 oscar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    A 70 can work as the minimum for a lone oscar as long as it has a 4' footprint and is well filtered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    IMO 75 is the smallest tank you could consider for an O to be an adult in.
    If you took those to mean "an Oscar + some company" - That is not what any of us meant to imply. We meant 75 is room for 'AN Oscar'.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So why do your co-workers want an oscar?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The quoted question was answered three times already, Lets recap:
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    A 70 can work as the minimum for a lone oscar as long as it has a 4' footprint and is well filtered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11!
    IMO 75 is the smallest tank you could consider for an O to be an adult in.
    Unless you get a significantly larger tank than a 75 you will not have room for an adult JD & Oscar or an O and a suitable sized school of TF barbs.

if you want a good home w/ the barbs/JD, then I would say a 125 is the minimum.
    Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought because the tinfoils were so big, that I would need a 125 for an oscar and them. Not an oscar and ANY tankmates. I was asking for new ideas for tankmates, because the tinfoils were not going to work. I highly doubt that it is a 125 gallon tank that they have. Sorry.

But...

If you want tank mates for your oscar, you need a 125gallon minimum size.
    I got it now. Sorry I misunderstood before.

Your friend has a poor set up if it is a 70gallon tank.
    It is an empty tank one of my coworkers I rarely see has. I believe it is his ex-wife's brother's uncle's roommate's or something. I still haven't got the measurements and I don't know what they had in it, or what equipment they have. I will be able to supply what is needed.

you do realize it is a 10+ inch fish that is very aggressive?
    Yes. But since I don't have any experience in raising one, that is why I am asking a bunch of stupid questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    So why do your co-workers want an oscar?
    Probably because it eats other fish.

I don't see all my coworkers often, as we work 12-hour shifts in 2 to 3 man teams, 4 on, 4 off, so I only really work with one person everyday, and they just brought this idea to me a week or so before I posted here. First they asked me about setting up a tank, I told them okay, and asked them to look up some fish that they might want. I started this thread cause my relief asked me when we are getting the oscar, then my coworker said that would be awesome. Next thing I knew, that is what everyone wanted. That or a shark.

Maybe I will just get a red-eared slider.

Default They need to research Oscars diet more than they have.. Just saying

0 Not allowed!
    It's far better to ask what needs to be asked - Than to not ask man, Don't sweat it.

Probably because it eats other fish.
    Bloodsport as entertainment? You will not find much support for that around these parts.

Enjoy your turtle.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

Aside from the very questionable ethics you are ignoring - this may be of interest: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishfood/feederfish.php

Also, look up Thiaminase poisoning - possible when using feeders. Don't do it.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would worry that since you don't see your workers that often that they would take it upon themselves to see the oscar eat fish, and possibly any other food besides fish food.

0 Not allowed!
    I know you're just the middle man here. You have coworkers who want one thing, but are uneducated about it. Then on the other side you have us, experienced, opinionated aquarists giving you the cold hard facts about what your coworkers want. What we have failed to say up to this point is THANK YOU! Thank you for doing the research ahead of time and not just plunking a fish in some water and hoping for the best.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your coworkers being interested in the process of one animal eating another. That happens in nature every day and anyone who has ever owned a snake and many other types of reptiles will regularly provide them with live mice and other critters that they hunt and eat. It's just that in the case of fish, feeder fish are not recommended in any way as they have adverse health effects. A well rounded diet of commercial fish foods is available for this reason.

Here's what I would do. Tell your coworkers that they would love to have an oscar. Oscars are great fish. They are impressive, massive behemoths that are fun to watch and interact with. You'll need to tell them to think of an Oscar like a dog in fish form. They have personalities, they grow attachments to people, they greet you at the tank front and follow you as you walk by them.

This being said, the "entertainment" of feeding them fish is out the window. Your pet dog might kill and eat a rabbit, but we all still feed them the pelleted dog food that you buy in the store because it's safer and more ethical.

As long as you have an appropriately sized tank, and everyone agrees to stick to a posted set of rules for the fish tank, Oscar away! If they want to see multiple fish in the tank, it would be best to forgo the oscar and set up a nice community tank.

Also, if the 75 gal that your coworker's friend's cousin's brother's professor's former roommate has is not sufficient for an oscar and that's the route you want to go, check your local classifieds. You should be able to find an oscar appropriate tank for a low price.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's far better to ask what needs to be asked - Than to not ask man, Don't sweat it.
    That is why I came here. Better to ask dumb questions, than to have a dead aquatic friend.

Bloodsport as entertainment? You will not find much support for that around these parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Aside from the very questionable ethics you are ignoring
    I have gotten that impression from reading other threads.

Questionable ethics? For feeding the oscar a possible poor food choice, or for letting nature take its course? If its the former, then I didn't know that before, but have been reading since. If it is the latter, then I don't feel I have any questionable ethics at all. I just see the world differently, and it is part of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Also, look up Thiaminase poisoning - possible when using feeders. Don't do it.
    Definitely a good reason to stick with other foods. Thanks for the link!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    I would worry that since you don't see your workers that often that they would take it upon themselves to see the oscar eat fish, and possibly any other food besides fish food.
    The good news is, most of them are too lazy to make a stop at the pet store, and too cheap to buy food for the fish. It is impossible to get half of them to replace the milk or eggs when they use the last of them!

My main concern is someone might get the idea to clean the tank when they are bored in the middle of the night, or add water to the tank. One of the guys opposite of me is very reliable, so on my off days, he should be on, so he will be the one in charge of feeding on those days.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I know you're just the middle man here. You have coworkers who want one thing, but are uneducated about it. Then on the other side you have us, experienced, opinionated aquarists giving you the cold hard facts about what your coworkers want. What we have failed to say up to this point is THANK YOU! Thank you for doing the research ahead of time and not just plunking a fish in some water and hoping for the best.
    Thanks. I have a lot of experience with other fish, but zero with oscars, so all the info everyone has posted is great. And I have a lot of time to research and decide what we are going to do (doubtfully an oscar, because I don't think we have the right environment for one).

I don't think there is anything wrong with your coworkers being interested in the process of one animal eating another. That happens in nature every day and anyone who has ever owned a snake and many other types of reptiles will regularly provide them with live mice and other critters that they hunt and eat. It's just that in the case of fish, feeder fish are not recommended in any way as they have adverse health effects. A well rounded diet of commercial fish foods is available for this reason.

Here's what I would do. Tell your coworkers that they would love to have an oscar. Oscars are great fish. They are impressive, massive behemoths that are fun to watch and interact with. You'll need to tell them to think of an Oscar like a dog in fish form. They have personalities, they grow attachments to people, they greet you at the tank front and follow you as you walk by them.

This being said, the "entertainment" of feeding them fish is out the window. Your pet dog might kill and eat a rabbit, but we all still feed them the pelleted dog food that you buy in the store because it's safer and more ethical.
    Oh, I believe Goes to 11! was probably spot on when he said they wanted the bloodsport. Really, I think it is more that they want a big manly fish, and not a little sissy guppy.

As long as you have an appropriately sized tank, and everyone agrees to stick to a posted set of rules for the fish tank, Oscar away! If they want to see multiple fish in the tank, it would be best to forgo the oscar and set up a nice community tank.

Also, if the 75 gal that your coworker's friend's cousin's brother's professor's former roommate has is not sufficient for an oscar and that's the route you want to go, check your local classifieds. You should be able to find an oscar appropriate tank for a low price.
    Prices have gone up! I was looking around and people want over $500 for anything bigger than a 75 gallon. I bought my 120 brand new with a stand for that amount.

I will probably work within the confines of the tank, unless they bring in a 10 gallon. An oscar is probably out unless I am surprised with a big tank, or I find one for a good price.

I think that once I get the actual measurements of the tank, I will be able to narrow down the choices a bit. I am sure I can find something they will appreciate.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldorfsalad View Post
    Questionable ethics? For feeding the oscar a possible poor food choice, or for letting nature take its course? If its the former, then I didn't know that before, but have been reading since. If it is the latter, then I don't feel I have any questionable ethics at all. I just see the world differently, and it is part of nature.
    I meant on both counts. I don't understand how you can equate feeder fish with nature taking its course. In nature, prey animals have a chance, a real chance, of escaping. Most wild predators do not have 100% success rates. In fact, I'd say with some confidence that there aren't any predators with a 100% success rate. There is always a percentile in the favour of the prey animal. This is what drives natural selection. The canny, fit ones escape to live and breed another day.

In putting a fish in an oscar tank you are subjecting it to massive amounts of stress with no chance of escape. None. This is what I consider to be totally unacceptable and irresponsible as an aquarist. There is no need to feed oscars live food. They will readily take and thrive on processed fish foods, thawed raw fish, veggies and fruit. There is no rational justification for it.

Your personal gratification on seeing the spectical of "the chase" should not come into it if you have any conscience or awareness of welfare standards in animal husbandry. Causing unnecessary suffering to another animal is, well, unnecessary. Check your ego at the door.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! So oscars are fish that are often given a very bad reputation, but especially with more semi aggressive species such as the jack Dempsey, it should do fine. That tank size is pretty good for a young oscar, when he gets older and larger, your probably going to want to get him into something a bit bigger, but Ive seen Oscars happily kept singly in 30-40 gallon aquariums. I would go for it, as long as you have powerful filtration then you should be fine with a smaller oscar and a few tank mates. Also, oscars will eat anything you put into the tank. Mine at first would only eat shrimp pellets, and then after a week was eating flakes, worms, and peas. Mine is pretty small, and hasn't ever bothered a fish in the 55, and Im waiting to for a few years to get a larger tank or build one in my college. But oscars are great fish with huge personalities, and will always beg you for food!!! They are very worth the expense!
    Work hard and have fun