· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Converting To A 65 Gallon Tank! A Few Questions!

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I have a 10g freshwater tank with only one goldfish in it since the rest of my fish died from the hurricane sandy power outage. The goldfish has become too large for the 10gal, so I have purchased a 65 gallon tank that will continue to be a freshwater tank. I bought a 50lb bag of PFS from a local pool store, so that will be used as the substrate for this tank, I still have all of the chemicals+test kits from my 10gal, so that should be the same. All that I think i need to buy is more fish, new decor+driftwood, a power filter, a heater, and an air pump.

For the power filter, I read that it is better to have two of each. I am planning on getting one filter: debating between the 350gph marineland penguin and the 70 gallon fluval aquaclear, please let me know which I should get and why ($10 price difference on the filter itself.)

I am planning on getting two ViaAqua 200w heaters and put each on opposite ends of the tank- my tank is 49in long. Is two 200w heaters too much for this 65gal or should i be fine?

What is the purpose of the air pump and do i really need one for my tank or will i be fine without one?

Any advice on decorating the tank on a low budget? $50-$75 budget for all decorations

If i have more questions they will be in the comments. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    As it is safer two have to filters incase one has problems it is not (totally) necessary. The main concern is to provide enough filtration that doubles the size of your tank. In your case a filter that rates at least 130 gallons. As goldfish are very messy (high bioload) you really would benefit from it. Some would suggest 2 AC70 or say 1 rena xp3. I would suggest the xp3 canister. Very quiet and a lot of space for bio rings. Not too expensive either. Hope this helps. Can't really help with the decorations. Good luck.
    Last edited by rodm81; 04-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn1414 View Post
    I am planning on getting two ViaAqua 200w heaters and put each on opposite ends of the tank- my tank is 49in long. Is two 200w heaters too much for this 65gal or should i be fine?

Two heaters wouldn't be a bad idea - that way neither has to work hard to maintain a certain temp.
    What is the purpose of the air pump and do i really need one for my tank or will i be fine without one?

An air pump is used with an airstone (with airline tubing) to break the surface of the water to add oxygen - if you have a filter that does the same thing (like a HOB filter), you don't need one.
    Any advice on decorating the tank on a low budget? $50-$75 budget for all decorations

If this were my tank, I'd use the decorating money to get a package of plants that are appropriate for the type of lighting you will have - or you can pick up pieces of PVC or smooth rocks and build things with aquarium safe glue

If i have more questions they will be in the comments. Thanks!
    Please see my responses above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Imma on the air pump.

GF are a cold water species - No heater will be required at all.

This is good because that part of the budget can be put into filtration which you need more of because neither filter above is enough for a 65g tank.

Filtration is no place to skimp & Filters in real world conditions are good for about HALF the tank they claim. Nevermind what it says on the box.
    Around here you will find that having a filter rated for TWICE the volume of the tank it's on is the usual minimum recommendation

Of the choices given I would go for the aquaclear brand every single time [No cartridges or DIY needed] however I would strongly suggest that you get a 110 and not a 70. IMO you will still be a bit underfiltered considering that adult GF are large widebodied waste producers [I presume yours is a juvie - so you have a while to up filtration]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some great advice, thanks! I think i will be going with two marineland penguin 350 filters since I have a very limited budget. I will still go with the two 200w heaters. I guess I won't need an air pump but will consider getting one in the near future to help with a decoration.

About the goldfish, I am not sure what kind it is but it has been doing fine in my tank for about two years now, it is about 4 inches in length now and I keep it at around 72-76 degrees fahrenheit, it even likes to hang around the heater most of the time.