· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How to create a divider for a tank containing ADFs?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so here's the deal, I added my betta to my 20g community tank last week. It's highly planted, all the recommended conditions for a betta in a community. I have 2 female guppies and one dully-colored male guppy as well as 2 African Dwarf Frogs. Last night, my betta attacked one of the female guppies, managing to bite half of her tail off. I would prefer not to move my betta back into his old 2.5g. My question is, is it possible to create a tank divider (on a budget) that will not hurt my frogs or allow them to escape? I know that their toes could get stuck in the mesh and I would like to know if there is any way to prevent that or if I just need to suck it up and remove the betta.
    Proud mommy of 1 betta, 1 ADF, and 3 guppies.

0 Not allowed!
    Well one option could be to take a piece of plastic, drill some small holes in it (big enough for guppys) and place it in the tank, leaving it off of the bottom by a few inches

I don't think (i could be wrong) that the betta would go to the bottom of the tank, and therefore would stay on the side you choose.

Just a thought

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Breeders like to use egg crate dividers as they're a cheap way to separate pairs. You'll be able to find it at Home Depot or your local hardware.

Alternatively, you can use a sheet of acrylic with small holes drilled in it to allow water movement.

Downside to using acrylic is that you will most likely have to drain your tank, silicone it and then refill. The benefit would be that it will not stand out in the tank like the egg crate which is usually pure white.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll look into the egg crate idea. I'll have to stop by the store on my way home from classes today.

My betta dominates every area of the tank. He actually spends most of his time at the bottom or in the middle.

0 Not allowed!
    an adf might be able to get thru the egg crate. You can get some plastic mesh in the kraft area in walmart and maybe use that over the egg crate? Probably just easier to buy a ready made divider.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My concern with the mesh is that it might hurt the frogs. I'm worries about their toes getting stuck.

0 Not allowed!
    Surely there will be a wide variety of mesh sizes and you will be able to pick a suitable small/or/large enough size to minimize this.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    If it were me, I would cut a piece of acrylic so that it fits between the glass sides snugly, but not enough to bow or break the glass or acrylic, that would reduce the need to silicone it in place. Drill 1/4" holes in the lower 2/3rds of the acrylic. this way the frogs wont be able to climb out, reduces the likelihood of Kermits toes getting stuck, allows good water movement between the compartments and will be less visible. You could drain down the water a few inches and run a couple of small beads of silicone at the top of the divider and on both sides to help hold it and you wont have to drain it completely, but acrylic and glass wont make a great bond with silicone anyways because it doesn't stick to the acrylic real well. If you decide to go this route. remember to drill the acrylic slowly with a sharp piloted bit. Support the acrylic with flat wood underneath the drill bit to avoid cracking or blowing out the acrylic. Be sure to leave the protective film on it while drilling.
    Last edited by Longshot; 04-18-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'm going to check out the mesh available at my local craft stores tomorrow and see what's available before I get into anything more expensive and complicated.. Walmart and Lowes didn't have anything suitable.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lunasalix View Post
    I think I'm going to check out the mesh available at my local craft stores tomorrow and see what's available before I get into anything more expensive and complicated.. Walmart and Lowes didn't have anything suitable.
    I think the plastic mesh mentioned earlier is sold in the sewing/craft section of walmart, by the name of needlepoint canvas perhaps. Had another thought about the whole divider, if the mesh is too fine, there is a good chance it will clog up fairly quick with plant debris, fish food, and other stuff.

I'll throw out another idea, you could poret foam to create a divider. Check out this link for ideas http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...er%20Foam.html .
    Basically the foam is used for two purposes at once, first it acts as a tank divider and the second it acts as sponge filter. I use was able to get some foam to use in my 10g fry growouts. It is a bit on the pricy side though, but perhaps can get some ideas from it.