· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Dying Java Fern

1. Default Dying Java Fern

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I'm new on the forum and joined because I have an urgent question about browning Java Fern.

Here's the situation: A few days ago, I did a 1/3 water change.The usual amount of liquid ferts were added. This is what I usually do and its worked fine for me in the past.

Over the course of the lasts few days, the java fern in the tank has been browning from the base. It started a day or two later with a clump of small plants that i moved to a new position, which is now completely dissolved. I thought nothing of it, since I disturbed it.

Then, the windelov ferns started to brown in the same way. It started with one plant and its spreading to the others. Small plantlets of the normal variety are also affected. These plants have not been disturbed.

So far, a giant plant in the tank and a narrow leaf variety have not shown signs of degeneration

I use a fluorescent tube for the 4ft tank (I don't know the specifications) but I would say its moderately bright. The temperature is around 31C. I know that these aren't the best for growing Java ferns, but they have thrived all of summer in those conditions. Its only since the last water change that the plants have died.

Anyone have ideas?
    tumblr_mlg0e1n77g1rprj1yo1_500.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Did you plant the java fern in the substrate or tie to rocks or driftwood?

You may also want to try lower your temp to around 25 to 26C, (around 78F) but is sounds like you already know 31C (aorund 88F) is a little high for the temp

ANy chance of a better pic. It can be hard to tell if the plant is just not getting a needed mineral. You may want to use the below pic to see if you might need to change the type of ferts you are adding to the tank

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i've lowered the tank's temperature. The plants are all on rocks/driftwood
    I don't think a mineral deficiency would cause death in such a small period of time. They were growing healthily up to the point of the last water change and I added the usual nutrients to the water.

The rot seems to be starting from the base of the leaf. The leaf tips are still green while the base is melting.

Eventually, the whole leaf dies.
    Last edited by fattytuna; 04-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.