· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default what to do about sick guppy?

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Im still in the new aquarium cycle (3/11 first fish intro) and my guppy doesn't look well. She's eating fine, however, her fins are split, 1 eye is a little buggy, and has a few white patches on her. I've been reading about ick, fin rot and pop eye but I'm not sure how to go about treating her. None of the other fish show any signs of diseases. She, along with 2 other guppies are my most recent introductions to the tank 2 weeks ago. The other guppies are fine. Since introducing the fish in March, I've been doing my partial (10 gal of a 36 gal aquarium) water changes every 5th day. im going to attempt to attach a video of her and hopefully you can make out the things that I see. also if I do treat, how will that affect my other fish? I have platies, m/f bettas, ghost catfish, albino cory cat, algae eater, guppies, rainbow shark. Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could there have been bites taken out of her tailfin? What other kinds of fish are in that tank, and how big is it?

Also what are your water parameters?

Please advise so others reviewing this thread can advise you better.

10 gal - 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 2 pc driftwood and planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    Ich or white spot manifests itself as little grains, not patches. Patches signal a fungal infection. In case you look out for common causes between Popeye, finest and fungal infection, you will find that bad water quality stands out, which is consistent with your tank still cycling. It sounds like you introduced more fish during the cycle, something that shouldn't be done. Additional fish should only be added after the cycle is over. Changing that much water every 5 days is grossly inadequate for a still cycling tank. Get a test kit or test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and change your water accordingly. Ammonia and nitrite must not exceed 0.25 ppm, while nitrate must not exceed twenty.

0 Not allowed!
    +1

What's up with the bag?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What bag? I put it in a cup to take a pic of it.
    I have: platies, m/f bettas, ghost catfish, albino cory cat, algae eater, guppies, rainbow shark

I have/use a test kit:
    ammonia 0ppm
    ph 7.6
    nitrite .5 ppm
    nitrate 40ppm

for now, increase water changes?
    thank you

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it looks like my other fish are getting spotty making me lean toward ick than fungus. I have the ick medicine but want to try raising the temp and salt first. ive been reading the forums about salting and not using table salt. I have kosher salt and wasn't sure if that was ok to use since it doesn't have iodine or anticaking agents in it. I have a few fish which I am not sure if I should use salt or get the ick meds: albino cory, rainbow shark, algae eater and ghost catfish. any advice would be appreciated

0 Not allowed!
    Kosher salt is fine. The important thing simply is the lack of additives that can be potentially harmful to fish. Certain fish such as catfish can be sensitive to salt. How about trying only a temperature raise first?