· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycled

1. Default Cycled

0 Not allowed!
    I added TSS 8 days ago to my 2.5g tank with betta that had been already running for 7 weeks (no progress)
    My readings tonight are:
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    40-80 nitrates

I think i'm cycled. (very quickly it seems)
    should i change the water now to bring down nitrates? Is this level dangerous for a betta?

Default What is 'TSS'?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by slug61 View Post

should i change the water now to bring down nitrates? Is this level dangerous for a betta?
    Yes & Yes.

How did your TrAtes get so high? When [& what %] was your last water change?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I assume TSS is Tetra SafeStart? you need to do a big water change to bring down the nitrates.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    Yes & Yes.

How did your TrAtes get so high? When [& what %] was your last water change?
    With TSS (Tetra SafeStart) you don't do any water changes until you are cycled.(It usually takes 2 weeks) It looks like for me was 8 days. So, it's been 8 days without a change.

0 Not allowed!
    With such a small tank, you should be taking out most of the water (leave enough for the fish to swim in) and take another reading after replacing the water (making sure to add dechlorinator) - if needed, change the water again to make sure the nitrates are down to 20ppm or less.

In general, most forum members will recommend keeping a betta in nothing smaller than a 5gal tank - they too need room to swim - water quality can become poor very quickly in such a small tank - just my 2 cents. I know small tanks are marketed for bettas, but that doesn't mean they are happy in them.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    With TSS (Tetra SafeStart) you don't do any water changes until you are cycled.(It usually takes 2 weeks) It looks like for me was 8 days. So, it's been 8 days without a change.
    I cycled my 75 gal with TSS. If you still have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, then you need to lower the nitrates with a water change.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I retested this morning. I have not done a water change yet.
    I now have over 20ppm nitrate but under 40ppm.
    Should i leave it a few more days like TSS recommends?

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend a 50 percent wc as soon as possible.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodm81 View Post
    I recommend a 50 percent wc as soon as possible.
    Now, i'm really confused.....i have asked the same question on 3 diff. boards and am getting many different responses.
    Some say do w/c immediately, some say wait until the 14 days are up(TSS recommends this), and some say that level is OK
    If i do a 50% change, will it disrupt the cycle since it has not been 14 days...only 8.

HELP??!!
    Last edited by slug61; 04-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Now, i'm really confused.....i have asked the same question on 3 diff. boards and am getting many different responses.
    Some say do w/c immediately, some say wait until the 14 days are up(TSS recommends this), and some say that level is OK
    If i do a 50% change, will it disrupt the cycle since it has not been 14 days...only 8.

HELP??!!
    I would call Tetra customer service, 1-800-526-0650, option 1 and give them your results. Maybe because you have such a small tank, it cycled in 8 days. My 75 gal cycled in 13 days. My understanding is (even when cycling with TSS), if your results are 0/0/20, you are cycled and should do the water change to bring down the nitrates. That's what I did.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.