· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any Tractor Supply stores near me and they appear to be the only ones who have it. I've been looking at some pictures of the black sand and it looks really shiny in the tank. I don't think that looks natural. What type of sand do you use talldutchie?
    Empty 20 Gallon
    29 Gallon WIP
    2 Poison Dart Frogs

0 Not allowed!
    Meh.. They obviously didn't rinse it well, Mine doesn't shine.

Enjoy the journey.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thanks everyone! I think I'll just go to my LFS and see what type of sand the carry.
    Empty 20 Gallon
    29 Gallon WIP
    2 Poison Dart Frogs

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if im not too late on recommending substrate.... i would go with safetsorb for plants. its lacking in the nutrients out of the bag but has a high ece value to allow it to store nutrients for the plants. ie root tabs will work better and they will absorb nutrients from wast ect.... ill post a link to an article i made.... in a few secs

here it is:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111310

BTW walmart caries the oil dry.... it does the same thing as the safetsorb but its lighter in color
    Last edited by genocidex; 04-19-2013 at 02:35 AM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieR View Post
    l. What type of sand do you use talldutchie?
    Pool filter. I was too lazy to wash a bag of play sand.

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to use black diamond blasting sand in my 90. I had a heck of a time finding it. None of the tractor supply or hardware stores had it. I finally called a company in my area that does sand blasting on metal and asked them who their blast media supplier is. Turns out there is a place 3 blocks from me that only sells it commercially. I called and sweet talked them and they agreed to sell me the sand.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I was considering using the black diamond sand but I spoke with 2 different (fish only) pet stores and both places told me that it has a lot of coal dust in it and that I should avoid using it as substrate, so I just bought black gravel instead. Would have been a bunch cheaper to use the sand *pouting*. I may put a couple of patches of the sand in there for plants, but Im not committing to that yet.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Plant substrate is better, obviously, because it holds the nutrients for plant growth but sand will work if you use plant tabs. The only downfall there is sand should be stirred now and then to release gas pockets and you don't want the fertilizer tabs coming to the surface. Keep the tabs right next to the plant roots and don't stir the sand in those area's and you should be fine.

I use this:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshw...trate_p/ss.htm
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I let my malaysian trumpet snails do the stirring.

The theory of stirring sand is now also being debated. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...e_7_1/dsb.html