· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Substrate for a planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm attempting to set up a planted 29 gallon aquarium and had some questions about the substrate I should use. I'm going to have cory cats in the tank so I want a sand like substrate that won't damage their barbels. The lighting is a T5 double bulb light with two 6500 K bulbs. I really want to use sand in the tank, but I'll forget about it if it can't support plants. I'm willing to use fertilizers if it will make that plants grow. Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    Sand is fine but also inert so ferts will be required yes but don't stress over it, Remember that there are cories that live on gravel bed streams in the wild and many aquarists have kept them on gravel for years with no barbel issues whatsoever [Myself included].

Many of the issues wrt barbel health in corys are related to issues of water quality IMO as you tend to see those types of issues with rookies [Though the blame is placed squarely on the substrate lol... Go figure]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hahaha, I'm responsible with my pets, so water quality won't be an issue. I just love watching cories play in the sand! Will any sand be ok? I'm trying to find some darker sand so that my planned cardinal tetras will really pop out.
    Empty 20 Gallon
    29 Gallon WIP
    2 Poison Dart Frogs

0 Not allowed!
    A couple sand types are preferable IMO:

Pool filter sand: It's CHEAP & has Consistent grain size & needs little if any cleaning. - Downsides are it comes in limited colors most places [Usually light colored but you may find dark]. Any pool supply or hot tub store should have it.

Black diamond sandblasting substrate - Needs rinsing as it has many small particles and it isn't straight black [flecks of brown] but again VERY cheap and does the job :-D. Look at any farm supply or big box hardware store for this.

DO NOT use play sand [for sandboxes] It's filthy [Total PITA to Rinse rinse and rinse some more] and can have rubble in it... Just not worth it IMO.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that, I think that I'm going to go with this sand: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Naturals...+aquarium+sand It's jet black so it'll look high contrast. Thank you for your help, I can't wait to get this tank rolling
    Empty 20 Gallon
    29 Gallon WIP
    2 Poison Dart Frogs

0 Not allowed!
    YVW

I have some of that in my 90 - Just FYI - the black diamond is 8$ for a 50lb bag... Yeah you read that right :-P. and it looks black in the tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a great deal! I'll keep my eyes open for that!
    Empty 20 Gallon
    29 Gallon WIP
    2 Poison Dart Frogs

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieR View Post
    That's a great deal! I'll keep my eyes open for that!
    Yeah it looks ok too IMO. See a recently posted a pic of my 55 in post #3 of this [related] thread [It has Black Diamond sand]:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...07#post1146907

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, I would buy eco complete as the substrate for the plants as they will thrive in it and it doesn't need to be washed unlike seachem fluorite and then used some of the black diamond sand to place a cap on the eco complete.

Your plants will thrive, especially with those dual 6500Ks, plus you get the desired sand look.

http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-C...s=eco+complete

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    Tastes differ. That carib stuff certainly will grow plants but look like sand? Not really in my opinion. Still it's a lot more natural looking than that black stuff