· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A planted bowl

Default A planted bowl

0 Not allowed!
    My wife had a big shallow bowl sitting in the cupboard. I decided to make a planted bowl out of it.

Started with a mix of 50/50 aquatic compost and sand. Capped that with some more sand. I used play sand.

Threw it together with some cuttings and some aquatic mint and marsh forget-me-not from the pond:

After 14 days it became apparent that the echinodorus wasn't going to transition to a marshy environment without a lot of leaves slowly dying. So I pulled that out. Also got some whispy algae so I've added a touch of fertilizer.

Since then I can almost see the mint grow. Perhaps I'll take some Cyperus helferi and see what that does in there.

Any lifestock is accidental.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I recognize the tall plant from my farm ponds. Not sure what it is called, but doesn't it have yellow blooms?? Also, which one is the mint and is it the same as regular mint.....edible?? Cool looking
    "tank"
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good. I started a bowl recently too. My local grocery store had these half dead plants in large glass cylinders on clearance. Figured the cost of container was worth it and tossed the dead plant out, instant aquarium! Just have dwarf sag in it.

Many plants will lose leaves when you take them from the aquarium and try to grow them emersed. Found that trimming back the leaves seems to help it adjust more quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    I thought that tall stuff was aquatic mint but now that it's growing seriously I think I made a mistake and grabbed something else. Ah well... aquatic mint is certainly edible.

0 Not allowed!
    Bowl's got some green drab algae. I've syphoned some away. Also transfered a few frogs eggs from the pond. A couple are mouldy but the first are hatching now:

0 Not allowed!
    Let's see...6 weeks later:

I think I can safely say the mint has established itself really well.

And the forget-me-not is flowering, delicate little flowers but pleasing to see.

Algae is more under control since I dumped in a bag of daphnia, even though I hardly see them. Even so it's sitll on a level that would totally freak out most of us on a normal tank but at this time of year with more than 16 hours of sunlight tha'ts not really surprising.

All in all I like it, parts I had lying around and the tadpole and the shrimp are doing well. Maintenance is an algae vacuum twice a week and 50% change.

0 Not allowed!
    Dutchie, this is incredible! lol I love the idea. Your picture, however, makes me curious about your yard. You're an excellent aquatic gardener... does it extend into the yard?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Wouldn't call it excellent but it's nice and lush. Can post a few pics if you're interested.

Thing is, it's only 15 meters tall and about 6 wide and in that area of about 900 square feet there's greenery, a little wildlife pond but also a terrace for us humans.

0 Not allowed!
    Would love to see it. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Then watch this space for more news sometime this weekend.