· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Amelia's Mini Semi-Biotope Journal (15g)

0 Not allowed!
    So, I went to pick up my new-old tank today and things did not go as expected. The tank was advertised as a 30 x 12 x 16 inch 18 gallon tank but I arrived to instead find a 30 x 12 x 14 inch 15 gal. I was annoyed at having lost 3 gallons worth of height but it wouldn't make much difference for my plans and that's the risk you take when you buy second hand. It was also filthy.

Tank came with light, heater and filter, haven't tried any yet but all look in good nick (if a little dirty). It also came with what appears to be red flourite substrate. Unsure yet whether or not to use this or bin it. I've never used flourite. I wanted to try out pool filter sand but after going into the pool store today they informed me that they only order pool filter sand in in spring/summer (but there was some in the garden they said I could have for free if I wanted!).

The jury is still out on the contents of the tank. It was originally planned to be a temporary South American Mini-Community (until I can upgrade them to a 30g) with some neons and my Nannacara anomala pair but after recently losing my male N. anomala that idea has been put on hold. My next best option was a species-only Lamprologus occelatus Tanganyikan Shellie tank, but this is highly dependant on my LFS being able to order some shellies in for me (shellies are very few and far between in NZ). My third option was a South-East Asian Mini-Community with White Cloud Mountain Minnows, rasboras and a small gourami of some variety. This may end up being the route I go simply due to the first 2 not working out.

Pictures to come.

0 Not allowed!
    The "cleaned" tank. If this is clean I'd hate to see what they consider dirty.

The hood. I have yet to test the lights. Again, filthy. If they hadn't told me it'd had fish in it up until a few days ago I would have thought they'd been keeping it in the garden.

The internal filter. Annoyingly, the model I THOUGHT I was getting had an internal filter with a gap in it for the heater to keep it all tidy. This one doesn't so I get to try and hide the heater some other way. Fun.

Didn't realize til I got home that this wasn't part of the filter. I think it's a UV sterilizer. Handy if it is, I can probably sell it and make back half what I paid for the tank. It takes up waaay too much room in an already small tank to even bother with.

0 Not allowed!
    :) Ah, the joys of buying used. Did I ever tell you about me driving all the way to the deep south to pick up a tank only to find the silicon was in really bad shape.

If you are going to reuse the heater do calibrate it in a bucket first.

WCMM, have you considered a setup with some more flow and either gobies or " hong-kong plecs" ?

0 Not allowed!
    I have considered Hillstream Loaches. I like them but not enough to dedicate an entire set-up to them. Really stuck as to what to put in this tank.

Ha -- did you buy it and repair the silicon? I'm always too poor to buy brand new tanks so I can't complain about second-hand. I have snapped up some amazing bargains. Eg. bought a cheap as chips 45g tank once and when I went to pick it up discovered it came with a Eheim jager 300w heater and an Eheim 2215 canister!

Yes I'll have a play around with the heater -- for some reason they had it set to 32C! Not sure if they were trying to cook their fish alive or what.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I have considered Hillstream Loaches. I like them but not enough to dedicate an entire set-up to them. Really stuck as to what to put in this tank.
    No need to blush, all we can do is present some ideas and hope one clicks for you.

Ha -- did you buy it and repair the silicon? I'm always too poor to buy brand new tanks so I can't complain about second-hand. I have snapped up some amazing bargains. Eg. bought a cheap as chips 45g tank once and when I went to pick it up discovered it came with a Eheim jager 300w heater and an Eheim 2215 canister!
    No I didn't. Fishkeeping is in decline over here it seems so there's always a lot of tanks on the market. I bought another one for the same price but in better condition.
    Yes I'll have a play around with the heater -- for some reason they had it set to 32C! Not sure if they were trying to cook their fish alive or what.
    I've seen just enough iffy heaters to make me very cautious. Anything new gets tested first. A bucket allows oyu to do it in a few hours.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the wonderful advice dutchie, as always. You are my fishkeeping Sensei.

Tank is now well scrubbed and sparkling clean. Will have to get some vinegar tomorrow for the awful limescale though. Ick.

Substrate is my next hurdle. I was really after lovely golden pool filter sand but I can't get it til summer so I'm going to have to go with white silica again, poos. I don't like the pure white stuff that much but sand is not easy to find here. Everyone uses gravel. Maybe over the summer I'll get some pool filter sand and change the substrate in my tanks, my cichlid tank at least.

I knew how big it was in measurements but looking at it the tank seems bigger than I anticipated! I thought it was going to fit comfortably in the place I had planned for it but it takes up much more room than I thought.

0 Not allowed!
    Sensei is way too much honour, I'm just the guy who can hold up a mirror to your own thinking occasionally.

What about that free sand you could pick up? You're in NZ, south island if I remember correctly. Must be some rivers there where you could legally grab some sand.

0 Not allowed!
    There is but it's all stone-grey and I'm really after a lovely gold. I can get it in pool season in a few months so I might as well just hold on and change then. Will probably make quite a bit selling my silica sand.

Have realised that the tank is actually pretty badly scratched. Talk about false advertising. You get what you pay for I guess, hopefully the scratches won't be very obvious once it's filled.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know you said you went to a pool place, but how about a hottub place? I know you're in NZ, but it might be an option? They should stock sand year round. I haven't used it but I know some people use play sand.
    My tank has white silica, but it has lots of black specks in it and I think it's rather pretty. I have most of the bag left!
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sarah, that's a good idea, I'll have a look around. Most of them are using pool "crystals" instead of sand now though so it's not that easy to come by.